Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trinitys

COME ON IN, DON'T BE SHY, INTRODUCE YOURSELF!!

niiice!^^^

Hi, my names Matt and im a senior in high school right now, its always been a dream of mine to have a classic Mustang, probably ever since I first saw one and didnt even know what it was yet. I finally got a '69 coupe a few weeks ago, heres a pic:

PICT0002-2S.jpg

yeah i fail at photograhpy, ill probably get better pics soon when I take it out of the garage and work on it.

Its a pretty good solid car, especially the engine which has only about 85,000 original miles on it. The only major things wrong with it is that it needs the drivers side rear quarter panel (maybe both, meh) replaced becuase of rust, and it has a problem with the clutch. And the paint, but due to my current status as a poor student unfourtunately I probably wont be able to get it looking how I want it to for a while. But it works, and thats all I need it to do for now.

Was just surfing around for Mutsang sites when I found this, I thought it was awesome that there was a site just (well mostly i guess) about my car's year. This is the first classic Mustang ive worked on so try not to laugh at my dumb questions :lol: I have a freind whose dad is a huge fox body fan and he had a bunch of them laying around his yard and me and my friend used to play around with them all the time. We were little middle schoolers back then, wed take apart an engine and put it back together and have parts left over :lol: ahh, good times...

ive learned a lot since then though :wink:

Welcome to the hobby, we are here to help so never hesitate to ask a question. Without new young blood we can't survive so don't ever think any question that will help you learn how to care for your car is stupid, no such thing!

Tell ya what, I'll give you your first assignment that is of no cost. You need to de-rice that poor girl ASAP! 8) I do not know what kind of JC Whitney rolled foil or what they put on those fender flairs and lower rocker but it's got to go!!!!!!! Get to scraping! 8)

So give us some more details, what engine ya got? Tranny? Options? And don't forget....MORE PICS!

Pak.

thanks for the welcomes.

and yeah im definetly gonna get that crap off, somehow. its not even foil, they are plastic panels, the rocker panel and headlight ones are glued on with something, and the fender ones are riveted :x theres also one on the tail light panel which is glued on.

anyone have any suggestion about something i could use to get the glue off? i think the rivets are going to be even more of a pain :x

as for the engine, its a 250 straight six, which my mom likes... but I dont. It will have to do for now though, a few good things are its in really nice condition and it will save me a little on gas. Transmission is a 3 speed manual. im not sure about other options though.

ill be sure to get more pics once I get it out of the garage, which will probably be soon.

i think the rivets are going to be even more of a pain

If they are pop rivets you should be able to use a 1/8" or so drill bit and drill out the head area of the rivet. The head will come off and you can remove the panels from there. I am assuming they are riveted to the fender lip?

Don't know about the glue.. I've used WD40 to get old sticker glue off many times but it depends on how it was done.

Edit: Oh yeah.. lot's of 'sixers' over here: http://fordsix.com

-Stephen

as for the engine, its a 250 straight six, which my mom likes.

Welcome to the site! If it would have had a v8 she probably wouldnt have let you get it, thinking you'd kill yourself. Those chrome pieces are ugly but if they are riveted then there gonna leave some nice holes. They may be covering up something on purpose also. You might not want to see whats behind it. 8)

Thanks!

I actually got most of the chrome off the drivers side today, WD40 worked pretty good on the glue, got the chrome pieces off fine but it left a mess I still have to get off somehow.

I used a drill on the rivets and those came off fine as well, the holes are small and there arent very many of them, and they are on the inside of the fenders so they are hardly noticeable. so they arent to big of a problem at this point.

there wasnt anything under the panels that i didnt know about, exept a mess of whatever was used to hold them on. and more rear quarter panel rust, but i already know that needs to be replaced so that wasnt to big of a deal.

ill get more pics when I back it out of the garge to get the passengers side chrome off, which should be in a few days or maybe next weekend 8)

Hey all. New guy here. My name is Paul also and I live in Northern NJ. So happy to find a specific 69-70 forum. Have been a bit inactive in the Hobby lately(new house, kid, etc.) Cleaned out the garage the other day and finally gave my mustang some overdue attention. I've had it since graduating h.s. in 1986. Hard to believe I have had it longer than the first owner :shock: Man time flies. Anywho, here are some older pics(I'll try to get some recent ones up if anyone is interested). Silver Jade 1969 Mach1, 351W, FMX trans :roll:

mustang1.JPG

Pic from Charlotte

mustang2.JPG

Still have lots of things I'd like to do. So I'm sure I'll be pestering you all for your knowledge often. :wink:

i've had mine longer too, but it was my first car after all. i've had mine since late '84.

Nice... I didn't realize it was your first car as well. Congrates on still having it! I find very few that still have their first car and most joe publics are amazed we still have them. I got mine in '74... I have to make fun of my age though or it depresses me. ack

Yes, update us with some recent pics Slappy, that's a very nice looking Stang.

-Stephen

Oh boy oh boy, my turn. I`m Dave Fallet in sunny Florida. Married to a great woman who let me buy my dream car 6 months ago. I tried to post a pic, but it doesnt seem to take. I suppose I should mention she made me sell my 500 rwhp 92 drop top Gt before buying my 69 Mach. Best thing I ever did!! This is my 3 rd Mustang and most likely my last as I will be burried in this car.

Hi all!

Cool to have 1969 mustang forum!

Here is some images of my sportsroof, imported from California ( by a company)

Welcome aboard!!!!!! So where is Narvik exactly? It sounds like something out of viking movie.

Hello everyone,was surf'n the web tonight looking for info on replacing rear frame rails,rear crossmember and trunk drop-off's and happened upon your site.It looked like a great place to find info on the 69 Mustang so here I am.

A little info about myself:I am a Disabled Vet(USMC) attempting to restore a 69 Sportsroof Mustang.It started life as a stock 302 2V but, has been bored to a 306,with 69 351w heads,Crane Hyd. RV cam,Edelbrock Performer 289 intake,Edelbrock 1406 carb. and Edelbrock polished Valve covers.Stock C-4 tranny (atm it is in shop being beefed up) 9" Traction "Lok" differential 3.00 gear (atm) w/Lakewood traction bars.This is my first restoration project and I have to admit I had forgotten how much work it is to strip a car to the frame and start over but, I have had a blast doing it to this point.

I caught the Mustang bug back in 82 while attending high school.I started with a 67 Mustang GT and replaced the motor with a well built 351C 4v.I beefed up the front and rear suspension,installed frame connectors and dropped in a 4.11 gear.I drove the car for a few years back and forth to school and to the racetrack on weekends where I run a best time of 12.36 in the 1/4.After highschool I joined the Marine Corps and during that time I lost my storage on the car and had to sell it in a hurry.Needless to say I never got over losing that car.

Well 19 years of marriage and 2 sons later I have gotten the bug again(not that I ever lost it:).I had bought an 03 Mach1 and drove it for awhile but, It just seemed to be missing something.So, I sold the New Mach1 and started my search for an older one.I looked for some time at the fastback's and decided on buying a 69 Mach1.Well,after looking into the prices my wife and I decided that for the money we should probably start with a coupe and see how the restoration went on it before we shell'd out upwards of 10k on something that will more than likely need a full restoration as well.

So,here I am after a 1k mile round trip to Georgia and an initial investment of $1800 and 1 month into the restoration and looking for info on the sheetmetal aspect of the project.I will post some pictures of the original way I found the car and some updated pic's of where I am now in the tear-down.I look forward to conversing with you and hope to hear from you with any suggestions you may have in helping me to complete this project.Great to be here... Ken

Hello everyone,was surf'n the web tonight looking for info on replacing rear frame rails,rear crossmember and trunk drop-off's and happened upon your site.It looked like a great place to find info on the 69 Mustang so here I am.

A little info about myself:I am a Disabled Vet(USMC) attempting to restore a 69 Sportsroof Mustang.It started life as a stock 302 2V but, has been bored to a 306,with 69 351w heads,Crane Hyd. RV cam,Edelbrock Performer 289 intake,Edelbrock 1406 carb. and Edelbrock polished Valve covers.Stock C-4 tranny (atm it is in shop being beefed up) 9" Traction "Lok" differential 3.00 gear (atm) w/Lakewood traction bars.This is my first restoration project and I have to admit I had forgotten how much work it is to strip a car to the frame and start over but, I have had a blast doing it to this point.

I caught the Mustang bug back in 82 while attending high school.I started with a 67 Mustang GT and replaced the motor with a well built 351C 4v.I beefed up the front and rear suspension,installed frame connectors and dropped in a 4.11 gear.I drove the car for a few years back and forth to school and to the racetrack on weekends where I run a best time of 12.36 in the 1/4.After highschool I joined the Marine Corps and during that time I lost my storage on the car and had to sell it in a hurry.Needless to say I never got over losing that car.

Well 19 years of marriage and 2 sons later I have gotten the bug again(not that I ever lost it:).I had bought an 03 Mach1 and drove it for awhile but, It just seemed to be missing something.So, I sold the New Mach1 and started my search for an older one.I looked for some time at the fastback's and decided on buying a 69 Mach1.Well,after looking into the prices my wife and I decided that for the money we should probably start with a coupe and see how the restoration went on it before we shell'd out upwards of 10k on something that will more than likely need a full restoration as well.

So,here I am after a 1k mile round trip to Georgia and an initial investment of $1800 and 1 month into the restoration and looking for info on the sheetmetal aspect of the project.I will post some pictures of the original way I found the car and some updated pic's of where I am now in the tear-down.I look forward to conversing with you and hope to hear from you with any suggestions you may have in helping me to complete this project.Great to be here... Ken

I'm Jim.

Got my 1970 Mach 1 back in June from a guy in Chicago. I had to hide it from my parents for a little while because they think owning an old car like this is a irresponsible and a waste of money. I was in the process of moving out when I bought the car so within about a month of owning the car I was out on my own and got the car to my place.

The car is from California and is absolutely rust free. Was originally a 2bbl 351W that was converted to a 4bbl with an aluminum Edelbrock intake and carb. The PO rebuilt the engine with (very) high compression forged pistons, headers, and a few other goodies. Other than that it's completely stock. The engine and tranny had 50 miles on the rebuild. Tranny is a god-awful FMX. I hate autos! But it was new and is original to the car so I'm not complaining. The interior is all new except the steering wheel, sail panels, and carpet on the back of the fold-down rear seat. It's been repainted a bunch and is in need of paint soon as it's peeling in a few places, but the hood has nice and new fresh paint so the car looks great from the front. New tires, brakes, and exhaust rounded out the package.

The bad news is the car is (despite being a Mach 1) very low optioned. It's got hubcaps, 4 wheel drums, 3.00 open rear (but it is a 9"), auto, 2bbl car. So other than being a Mach it's not a very special car.

Good news is the deluxe interior is rather nice to have, although for the life of me I have no idea where I can put front speakers!

So there are some serious plans in the works for this car. This winter I'm swapping in a manual tranny, preferrably a T-56 but I don't think that'll happen due to the need to cut the tranny tunnel, so it'll probably get a TKO500. It's also getting 4 wheel discs from a 2000-04 Cobra. That'll need new wheels so I'm going to add 17X8 and 17X10 Raceline GT wheels with the knockoffs. Then a 3:50 posi rear end to complete the drivetrain upgrade. Come springtime I'm getting Global West tubular upper and lower control arms, doing the UCA relocation, and adding Mustang Plus 620 coils and 5 leaf rears. Probably going to go with Global West Del-A-Lum bushings in the back or I'm going to make a Watts Link. I'd like to make my own subframe connectors and monte carlo bar and export brace. I may go as far as making at least a hoop roll bar to add racing seats and 4point harnesses. The rear of the car may get some extra bracing between the upper shock mounts as well.

The engine could also use a nasty cam (something equivalent to an Z303) and it'll probably get a bigger DP carb, dual plane intake, bigger headers and exhaust. I'll get to that when I feel like it I guess.

I see the car getting a repaint next winter.

I drive the hell out of my car unlike some people, in the 5 months I've owned it it's already racked up over 3500 miles. No, it's not a daily driver. I'd like to autocross it next year when I can afford to and maybe eventually get it on an open track once a year. It's just too fun to open it up so I may as well do it on a road course.

This was my third pick of cars behind a 1973-1978 Ford Falcon (1) and a 1968 Firebird (2). I actually had one of the Falcons, a beautiful 1976 but the owner sold it out from under me (while I had a deposit on it) when I was arranging a truck to ship it.

I've been wanting a car since I was a kid and got turned onto the 1969/70 fastbacks back around 2000 or so. I didn't think I'd ever be able to afford a good one and after looking at cars for about 2 years and finding nothing but rustbuckets I finally found this car. I also like the 1971/73 fastbacks and would love to find one to build a targa roof removable hardtop cruiser out of some day.