johnk

AC COMPRESSOR Rebuild where?

G'day everyone john from australia. firstly let me apologise as i'm sure this has been kicked to death. I couldn't find forum with the answer.

i have a Mach 1 mustang 351 with a vintage air-conditioner. The car is concourse and i wish to keep it this way.I have removed the compressor as it was making a terrible noise. i wish to have the compressor rebuilt or replaced with one that looks identical.

I have heard that there are places in the USA that can either completely rebuild your compressor or they can give you a new one and put the original badges from yours on there. All I need to know is somewhere that I can send to do this. Do you have a preferred person who can rebuild these compressors what do you recommend?

I can get a new "York style" I have found one online.  I have pictures here my original one (but couldn't up load even low res ones) but mine seems to have a bigger heavier flywheel than the new one that is "supposed to fit"..

My preference is to have my old one rebuilt thank you in advance kindest .  Can give me a place to send it or a place to buy the new one ?

thanks John

Edited by johnk
spelling and grammer

I have always rebuilt them myself.

i get the gasket kit and reed plate from NAPA

if yours has the issue of a rod knock I think I would get another one and swap the guts into your unit.

i have a number of the compressors so I’m sure I can find what you need. You can also contact Leigh Shorley in the Brisbane area as he may have some too.

i have a shipment getting ready to go to him in Australia so I’m sure he would let me add a couple parts to it if he does not have what you need

That is awesome Rsanter, it makes a terrible noise when the clutch engages the compressor. It’s almost impossible for me to tell what it is. Off the car the clutch spins very smoothly and I’m sure it’s internal in the compressor.

thanks i will contact the Brisbane guy , if you send him a good working one , happy to pay for it , thanks John

That is awesome Rsanter, it makes a terrible noise when the clutch engages the compressor. It’s almost impossible for me to tell what it is. You can press them out the clutch spins very smoothly and I’m sure it’s internal.