Sign in to follow this  

Gas Cap tabs potentially bent

So I'm new to owning a Mustang - bought a 1970 that was delivered yesterday. Love it - drove it around the neighborhood and onto the highway and man, what a great feeling. I went to fill it up with gas and to my surprise, the gas cap wouldn't come off. I've looked online at how they work, and my fear is the tabs on the filler neck are bent or something like that, not allowing the cap to release. It's got about 1/16th of a tank of fuel left, so it's in my garage and not moving until I figure it out. Any thoughts on getting it off? Anybody had this experience before? Thanks for your help - great to see a forum like this available. I'm new to this Mustang ownership, but excited to jump in.

Welcome to the forum Bryant! Welp, I'd probably use brute force and destroy a few hundred dollars in parts. You can remove the flexible fuel filler line that connects the tank and metal filter tube which is located in the trunk to add more gas. You might also be able to access the screws holding the cap to the rear body panel from inside the trunk. Maybe not. I'm assuming you're gas cap is the flip style. 

How about posting some pics of your new pride and joy, and share a bit about you and your Mustang?

69 Flip style. Lift the tab to open.  You may have a twist style? In any event a bit of tinkering may be needed. Wise and mature to ask.  FWIW a good time to compare your dash gas gauge reading to the actual amount needed to fill up.  Brian 

69 Gas Cap A.JPG

If a twist on type, turn it counterclockwise to remove.

Scott Drake and likely others offers a kit that adds a locking function to any classic Mustang twist-on gas cap.   It is a pin type thing that you need to open the truck to pull the pin back so you can then turn the gas cap.   Pretty cool, I just stumbled on it on CJPP this past week ...

Scott Drake ACC-9030-LOCK Mustang Gas Cap Lock 1965-1973| CJ Pony Parts

... maybe your car has one of these !!

Doug

58 minutes ago, stangs-R-me said:

If a twist on type, turn it counterclockwise to remove.

Scott Drake and likely others offers a kit that adds a locking function to any classic Mustang twist-on gas cap.   It is a pin type thing that you need to open the truck to pull the pin back so you can then turn the gas cap.   Pretty cool, I just stumbled on it on CJPP this past week ...

Scott Drake ACC-9030-LOCK Mustang Gas Cap Lock 1965-1973| CJ Pony Parts

... maybe your car has one of these !!

Doug

I have been using that gas cap lock on one of my cars for years, it stopped people from playing with my gas cap, trying to steal it etc.