Sign in to follow this  
jjstang

'69 lower rocker molding

Anyone have experience with the repo rocker molding?  Mine are in really rough shape.. After a few hours on the buffer, i got about 1/2 of one worked on.   pits, scratches and such are still showing significantly.  I can send it out for a professional at about $60 a foot, say $720(ouch), or but repos $160 a pair at NPD.  This is not a show car.  Opinions??

Do you meant the stainless single strip of trim?

I’ve been doing my stainless and it does take hours. I also did not have any major pits. I would just get it shiny. It is close to the ground and not easily seen and the tires will throw more debris at it. 

69 rocker panel molding is aluminum, not stainless. It is bright dipped anodized (as far as I remember). It has to be stripped then anodized again after it is buffed/polished. If not anodized, it will dull. Buffing usually do not remove the anodization as it is a hard coating. Buffing the anodized part will make it a little shinier but not as shiny as original.

The repro ones are okay, they are made from softer material but anodized. You need to deburr the ends so it won't scratch your paint, may need to grind the ends to fit the fenders better etc and the hole for the screw at the aft end of the right side may need to be tweaked. I was missing the left side molding on my 69 Grande so I used a repro set with above work, can't remember if it was from NPD but am happy with it. 

Thanks for the replies. I was told they were aluminum. A shop removed the anodize for me. I could make it shinier but not great. I was told I could spray it with some clear paint when done.