Sign in to follow this  
Kris

69 convertible rear bow rack strip installation

What have you guys with convertibles done to attach a new tack strip to the rear convertible frame bow? My tack strip was basically dust so it had to be replaced. I know it was originally stapled. I have heavy duty staples and an air stapler. The staples either bend or brake and don’t penetrate the metal like the originals were. I’m considering drilling and using countersunk rivets but wanted to see what others have done first. 

I still use the OEM which is soft and accepts staples readily. I would expect the replacement to be soft and accept staples like the original, certainly not metal. The front strip was toast on my car and I used a length of plastic body side molding that they sell at any auto parts store and it works well. I see West Coast Cougars sells something similar for the back, you may want to look into a section that? I would assume it's a good size to fit in the rear bow and it's cheap.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13541-Convertible-Rear-Bow-Tack-Strip-BY-THE-FOOT-Repro-1969-1973-Mercury-Cougar-1967-1973-Ford-Mustang.html?srsltid=AfmBOorJr3zqFjs0TQOo6nIBbKcf1dUDXWACH_508LDzTinWagj1aGk1SYU

The strip itself is rubber and I have it. The strip itself was originally stapled to the metal bow it sits in to hold it in place. Then the convertible top is stapled to the rubber strip.