BobW70Mach1

Sometimes you don’t win

I bought a 69 428 Cobra Jet project from Bruce who advertised it on this site.  He was a frequent contributor and was completely truthful about the car.  I pretty much bought it sight unseen.  You can see the ad in the “cars for sale” thread.  Anyway,  he told me that the engine was rebuilt, but was never broken in.  The engine was rebuilt 10 years ago.  I have had rebuilt engines sit around for a couple of years and didn’t have an issue with mine so I took a chance with this car and hoped for the best.  You can read about what happened in the thread, but it ended up that there was some serious corrosion in the top end.  At this point I am hoping the bottom end is not affected and I only have to have the heads rebuilt.

I have to admit I am still happy I bought the car because of all the other good work on the build.  I just posting as a reference to all the people who buy cars without really checking them out.  Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.  Always expect the worst.

244E727E-2F4E-42DB-BE72-0279C0283A13.jpeg

A7ED61B1-6D31-4D33-8AF9-27076E94691D.jpeg

My concern would be what does the block look like. If it is like that, that engine needs to come out, stripped  and put in a vat. I have disassembled engines in old cars that were parked in the 1960s or so that looked that way, I have always figured it was cheap coolant. I think all coolant these days are better tho.

Definitely had some water in it. My engine sat untouched & un-run since the early 90s and didn't have much at all in the heads. It did have some water get into a couple of the cylinders I think after I removed the heads. It also sat in the driveway under a tarp the whole time. Just had the heads done and working on a plan for what I want done on the block.

5 hours ago, det0326 said:

My concern would be what does the block look like. If it is like that, that engine needs to come out, stripped  and put in a vat. I have disassembled engines in old cars that were parked in the 1960s or so that looked that way, I have always figured it was cheap coolant. I think all coolant these days are better tho.

Yes.  The engine is definitely coming out.  I used an endoscope to look in the spark plug holes and I see rust particles so I am not hopeful.  I am going to take it to my engine guy and see what he says.  I'm hoping some of it can be saved or at least not a full blown rebuild.  

I just got the engine back from the engine builder.  #1 cylinder had to be re-sleeved.  The rest of the components were still good.  Luckily the re-sleeving did not affect the other cylinders.  They cleaned up the heads and intake and put it back together.  I even had them break in the engine for me.  So a few thousand dollars later I am ready to put it back into the car and get it running for the very first time.  If I put some effort into it, I could get it on the road by summer.  I need to polish those valve covers, too.

C2670F65-471F-45A6-98A6-D1A1BA8BD703.jpeg

00604E82-E4A8-4650-A1A0-D91EC7CE198E.jpeg