Hello. New to the forum.

I have a '70 Mustang notchback in need of a lot of body work, mostly on the rear end. I've heard of something called a body dimension chart that lists reference points and specific measurements throughout the car. I think maybe this chart is used if the car was involved in an accident so that the body panels can be set back to their original positions. Does anyone know if this chart exists and where I could find it?

I ordered replacement rear quarter panels from CJ Pony. The panels are labeled 69-70 but there is a body line to the rear of the fender, above the marker light that is not on the panel I took off the car. Does anyone know if mustang changed the body lines at some point through 1970? 

I have never restored a car like this before. Any other advice you have is appreciated.

Thank you.

Bill

can you post the link of the qtr panel and picture of those qtr panels you purchased? most likely the 70 qtr panel has the stamped tooling of the 69 minus the side grille option. this can be fix by either cutting a slit in the middle of the line (above the marker light) and flattening it, then reweld it to match the original 70 qtr extensions.

An cheaper/easy option would be to flatten completely with out cutting or just use bondo to "hide" that line.

this may be the chart you are referring to:

69-70 Mustang Chassis frame dimension As Used on 67.jpg

20 hours ago, rwcstang said:

can you post the link of the qtr panel and picture of those qtr panels you purchased? most likely the 70 qtr panel has the stamped tooling of the 69 minus the side grille option. this can be fix by either cutting a slit in the middle of the line (above the marker light) and flattening it, then reweld it to match the original 70 qtr extensions.

An cheaper/easy option would be to flatten completely with out cutting or just use bondo to "hide" that line.

this may be the chart you are referring to:

69-70 Mustang Chassis frame dimension As Used on 67.jpg

Following…….

Where does this chart originate?  Is it in a manual or book?

its the liskey diagram I believe.

not sure of the history/origin of it, but this is widely used. I haven't done this myself to confirm measurements on my 69, but I'm sure others can chime in here and tell you if its accurate or not as some are in the process of full restoration. 

Best,

There is no exact reproduction of 70 coupe quarter panel; there is a 70 vert reproduction quarter. That panel you bought must be for 70 vert which has the 69 body line above the side marker,  but it is also missing the 70 coupe specific body line below the side marker.

I measured “height” dimensions of a few cars with no frame damages while I was building my body jig and they were very close to “height” dimensions given at Liskey diagram.