Vicfreg

Headlight Adjuster Hack...

Well, things happen to a 55 year old car.  This occurred on my '68, but directly applicable to '69 and '70.

I was installing LED headlights on my '68 coupe, and went to adjust them, and noticed that the adjuster screw heads were stripped.  I attempted a small vise grip slow turn, but the result was the plastic insert in the headlight adjusting screw retainer came out.  Oh-oh...   Reinstalling them properly means removing the bumper and headlight bucket.  Not going to happen, as my headlight buckets are very happy where they are with the as-new paint from 15 years ago.

I did some digging around in my hardware bin and came across these license plate mounting screw inserts.  Very close in size.  I tried one and it fit in the hole but was too wide in one direction to properly seat.  So, a pair of diagonal cutters solved this, and resulted in enough clearance to place the insert in the hole cleanly.

I had a fine thread tap that was close to the thread pattern of the headlight adjuster screw.  I tried to tap the insert, and was somewhat successful, but got the threads started at least.  I removed the screw, installed the insert, and it works like a charm.   I used some really nice original screws I had in my headlight hardware container, after an overnight dip in Evap-O-Rust.

Lesson learned is to install new adjusters screws and inserts before you install the headlight buckets.    

The LED headlights work great, they are so bright, and also have an original type lens look.  

Pics below.

headlight5.jpeg

headlight1.jpeg

headlight4.jpeg

headlight6.jpeg

headlight7.jpeg

headlight2.jpeg

headlight3.jpeg