Mike65

Trunk wiring routing.

As the title says I am looking for some pics on the routing of the trunk wiring. I am finishing up the wiring in the trunk I want to route the harness so I could take measurements then make the connections to the lights & be sure when I put it in place it will still reach the lights. I looked in the Osborne wiring book & it shows a rough drawing that doesn't help much. I would be grateful for any pics you all can supply me. Thanks in advance.

Mike, don't have any pictures but I know it feeds from the front down the left door sill, over the left wheel well and along the taillight panel with drops at the left trunk hinge(courtesy light), trunk floor aft of the wheel well (fuel sender), L rear marker & backup, left tail, license light, right tail, right marker & backup. Not sure if that's what you're looking for but it's what I remember. Of course at 61, my memory ain't what it used to be.

Thanks Roger, I was more looking for pictures I looked in my Osbourne manuals & it has a drawing of where it runs but I was looking for more detail then the book has.

Mike, I don't know if this will help, but its a link to my Google Drive. Among other things it has a very detailed wire diagram that is Ford approved and 30+ pages. You want page 2-E22.

The only reasonable way for people to view high resolution files is if they are saved as a pdf. However, the pdf in this ancient software can only output in portrait mode. Since most of the drawings are in landscape mode, I had to rotate them 90° prior to saving as a pdf. Just print the page(s) wanted and you will have a full landscape size pdf. Sorry for the inconvenience. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10FqYlsGT1XXr8B5TCF9WAASkU4vdPtuJ?usp=sharing

I would take some pictures of my trunk wiring but I just had two procedures done to my nose to aid in breathing (kinda important), and I'm just not up to it yet. If no one responds in a week or so I should be able take some pictures at that time.

From up over the left wheel:3AA10577-3581-4508-89BF-714140500CDD.thumb.jpeg.067ead24d968f83299277d8255d94f7d.jpeg

left tail light:

A4C5B2ED-5FD0-4E4A-85E5-90D77234032C.thumb.jpeg.bd7baa63aacb18bad70cd8d014ff45d5.jpeg

490F9149-12CB-4295-90B4-EDB60D0D45D1.thumb.jpeg.0a4fc820cb946c6b15d0dea81e0384db.jpeg

gas gauge routing:

980CE170-A292-48FE-AB1C-6223D4D137B2.thumb.jpeg.191af8798acc1facd4d4761ac789fc26.jpeg

note I have spliced in a gas gauge calibration device here.  It’s in the 3d printed box I made for it there. It’s held down by one of the tank bolts. The wood is there to kind of even up the floor for the vinyl

38B61E2E-9004-4090-91F2-02CF396B5725.thumb.jpeg.c55fe71f7b3aa7a071f27094c133d658.jpeg

this is the running of the tail light harness from the left side headed over to the right side.

8607134E-7AE0-43A1-A957-E1FF3A469F82.thumb.jpeg.d73454d96c405129f7dbcacf2a898cc1.jpeg

Hope these help some!!

7D92A0CD-A990-4644-A10D-47E370C9702E.jpeg

16 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I would take some pictures of my trunk wiring but I just had two procedures done to my nose to aid in breathing (kinda important), and I'm just not up to it yet. If no one responds in a week or so I should be able take some pictures at that time.

I pray u get well soon Terry

Terry thanks for the link but it says I do not have permission to view it, Brian, thanks for the pic, & Jay thanks for the pics that is just what I needed. You guys are the best. I will post some pics once I get the harness completed.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:12 AM, JayEstes said:

From up over the left wheel:

left tail light:

490F9149-12CB-4295-90B4-EDB60D0D45D1.thumb.jpeg.0a4fc820cb946c6b15d0dea81e0384db.jpeg

Jay, is that the reverse light wire going through the hole above frame rail on this picture? There should not be any wires going through that hole, reverse light wires goes out through holes towards the back bottom of trunk drop off.

9 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Jay, is that the reverse light wire going through the hole above frame rail on this picture? There should not be any wires going through that hole, reverse light wires goes out through holes towards the back bottom of trunk drop off.

I have to say I am not sure but I do believe it is.  It could be that I have that routed wrong, and it should go where you say - I'll have to check and let you know.  There aren't a lot of instructions on this stuff - I could have gotten it wrong.

4 hours ago, JayEstes said:

I have to say I am not sure but I do believe it is.  It could be that I have that routed wrong, and it should go where you say - I'll have to check and let you know.  There aren't a lot of instructions on this stuff - I could have gotten it wrong.

I was worried that the wire could get chafed and start a fire as it does not have a grommet for the hole you used on trunk floor.

There are at least 3 variants of the 69/70 fuel lines, which makes my life a mess.  One variant is specific with dual exhaust.  I really can't say what the reproductions intend to duplicate, as I don't have enough experience with them.  Basically, the dual exhaust version has the fuel line grommet in the center of the tank area behind the tank; the other two are on the passenger side drop-off.

Much of what the above posts may be showing are these variants...just my $.03 on the matter.

On 6/6/2023 at 4:34 PM, Mike65 said:

Terry thanks for the link but it says I do not have permission to view it

Sorry about that, my son still hasn't gotten around to looking at that. For some reason he puts his work before mine- the nerve of him!

Here is a shot of the wire routing using the snipping tool. I show the Cougar version first because it is the only page that has the fuel sender wire that Mid mentions in the post above:

Cougar 2-E14 interior lights, clock, cigar lighter, but shows fuel sender wire

image.thumb.png.3e0a90a38d727be82ee65f4317066bbc.png

Mustang 2-E22 exterior lights, clock, cigar lighter. No fuel sender wire shown

image.thumb.png.c8efacd4d73b712d195e90a2d36e3432.png

On 6/8/2023 at 12:09 AM, Midlife said:

There are at least 3 variants of the 69/70 fuel lines, which makes my life a mess.  One variant is specific with dual exhaust.  I really can't say what the reproductions intend to duplicate, as I don't have enough experience with them.  Basically, the dual exhaust version has the fuel line grommet in the center of the tank area behind the tank; the other two are on the passenger side drop-off.

Much of what the above posts may be showing are these variants...just my $.03 on the matter.

Mid, thanks for the heads up on the fuel line for dual exhaust. My car has it in the center and it is a single exhaust Mach1. I will be changing to dual exhaust so I'm always interested in knowing the changes between the two. I was surprised to find out that the passenger side rear leaf spring shackles are different for a dual exhaust car (among other hanger brackets and things). Apparently the shackles are only available through Eaton Springs, as he had them specially tooled.

8 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Mid, thanks for the heads up on the fuel line for dual exhaust. My car has it in the center and it is a single exhaust Mach1. I will be changing to dual exhaust so I'm always interested in knowing the changes between the two. I was surprised to find out that the passenger side rear leaf spring shackles are different for a dual exhaust car (among other hanger brackets and things). Apparently the shackles are only available through Eaton Springs, as he had them specially tooled.

Wow.  Another reason why I can't really understand what are the reasons for the variances...I prefer to restore customer's wiring so I know it is appropriate to their vehicle.  Otherwise, it is simply a crap shoot and I don't like that at all!  Now it is even more of a crapshoot!

On 6/7/2023 at 11:09 PM, Midlife said:

You know, my coupe was a single exhaust, but I converted it to dual exhaust (only because I wanted to).  My fuel gauge wire penetrates the center, forward of the fuel tank, after it goes thru my gauge calibrator.  Does the fact that I now have a dual exhaust mean that maybe I shouldn't go thru the hole in the back of the drop-off?  Will the exhaust now on that get the wire too hot and melt the insulation? I'm gonna look at this this weekend - and see what is up - been too busy to get out there until now....

1 hour ago, JayEstes said:

You know, my coupe was a single exhaust, but I converted it to dual exhaust (only because I wanted to).  My fuel gauge wire penetrates the center, forward of the fuel tank, after it goes thru my gauge calibrator.  Does the fact that I now have a dual exhaust mean that maybe I shouldn't go thru the hole in the back of the drop-off?  Will the exhaust now on that get the wire too hot and melt the insulation? I'm gonna look at this this weekend - and see what is up - been too busy to get out there until now....

Jay, Midlife said dual exhaust wire goes out from center; so you should be good. On a side note, my single exhaust cars also have the wire coming out from center. Wonder if Midlife meant to say dual exhaust comes out from passenger drop-off?

On 6/8/2023 at 12:09 AM, Midlife said:

I have a few single exhaust cars and fuel sender wire comes out from middle, not trunk drop-off; wonder if dual exhaust comes out of trunk drop-off.

1 hour ago, JayEstes said:

Does the fact that I now have a dual exhaust mean that maybe I shouldn't go thru the hole in the back of the drop-off?  Will the exhaust now on that get the wire too hot and melt the insulation?

Jay, do you have the stock 2-1/4 dual exhaust with the resonators up front and the transverse muffler positioned on edge between the pumpkin and the fuel tank? I've often wondered how close that gets to the sender wire, but it makes sense that there would be less exposure to the muffler coming out the center than running across the tank from the side.

As aslanfe stated above ... 

All single exhaust cars had the fuel sender wire exit the trunk floor in the middle right by the sender.

All dual exhaust cars had the fuel sender wire exit in the passenger side drop off due to the transverse mounted muffler.

Info & pics of the dual exhaust version is here:

Dual Exhaust Fuel Sending Unit Extension Wire Harness - Dead Nuts On

My car was originally single exhaust, but I added the factory transverse muffler dual exhaust system to it back in the 80's when it was first reproduced.   

Pics below show the issue and how I made it work ... back then, I just assumed this is what Ford did on the dual exhaust cars.   

I did buy a new Alloy Metal Products taillight harness with the Convenience Group from NPD last year and it only comes in the Dual Exhaust version.   Have yet to swap it in but when I do, I'll do it right and drill the hole in the drop off and put a rubber body plug in the old single exhaust wiring hole.

Doug 

FuelSenderWire-1.JPG

FuelSenderWire-2.JPG

FuelSenderWire-DO-hole.JPG

Fantastic detail Doug, thanks. I'm still undecided if I will go EFI or Carb. If I go EFI, I like the Holley 12-305 pump assembly but the fuel connection appears to stick out a little more than the stock version, maybe causing a problem. 

Aslanefe, didn't you use the 12-305, but do you have a transverse muffler??

9 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Fantastic detail Doug, thanks. I'm still undecided if I will go EFI or Carb. If I go EFI, I like the Holley 12-305 pump assembly but the fuel connection appears to stick out a little more than the stock version, maybe causing a problem. 

Aslanefe, didn't you use the 12-305, but do you have a transverse muffler??

I used 12-305 but no traverse muffler, I put 2 mufflers where resonators would be.