bigmal

Attaching the chrome strip to the front of the Bonnet

Hi all, I recently bought a replacement chrome strip for the front of my bonnet and being after-market rubbish it needed to be pulled in a fair bit at the center. As soon as I pulled it in with the lugs supplied, they pulled straight out of the soft metal. 

I thought I'd share the brackets I made which made life a lot easier and holds it in place nice and tight. I had to use a little bit of silastic to hold them while positioning. If they were 1/16" wider that wouldn't be necessary.

IMG-2281.jpg

OE clips, or your custom made, clips are the way to go. The clip set I bought from NPD were crap, as they spun in the molding. Double checked the part number to make sure they weren't for the C shaped headlight molding, nope. Ended up using my filthy OE clips I saved. 

If the clip is in correct it locks into the molding  ,the spring is a preload to keep the clip in place while tightening ,i sometimes bend the spring to keep it a bit tighter if the clip feels to loose in the molding ,now when tightening the clip is turning into the channel at top and bottom and shouldnt be able to come out 

20230604_140317.jpg

20230604_140328.jpg

On 6/5/2023 at 7:12 AM, Ridge Runner said:

If the clip is in correct it locks into the molding  ,the spring is a preload to keep the clip in place while tightening ,i sometimes bend the spring to keep it a bit tighter if the clip feels to loose in the molding ,now when tightening the clip is turning into the channel at top and bottom and shouldnt be able to come out 

20230604_140317.jpg

20230604_140328.jpg

Thanks mate. This makes sense. I had an issue with the crappy reproduction needing to be pulled in around 1/2" in the middle so it had quite a bit of load and bent the back of the strips. With the pieces I made it pulled the strip in and holds it flat. Probably should have massaged the strip so it's the correct shape, but I was afraid of kinking it.

The 1970's have the metal backing strip riveted in 3 places to the outside front of the hood.  The trim uses 6 of the oval shaped spring clips, and they go through both the backing plate and the hood. There are special acorn nuts with a small rubber washer used to mount this.  The 1970 body book has a good illustration of this.

The '69 and '70 mouldings are not compatible, the profile of them is different.

I will post something that shows this shortly.

The orange body book shows item number "B" as D0ZB168746 which is a "Type 8" moulding retainer.  That is shown on page 248 of the AMK fastener book.

Item "C" is show in the body book as part number 384102 S100, which is a hex acorn nut, shown on page 214 of the AMK fastener book.

hoodtrim1.jpeg

hoodtrim2.jpeg

hoodtrim3.jpeg

hoodtrim4.jpeg

Ridge has a great point about the direction that the spring clip is facing.  The body book shows the spring facing up so it gets more compressed when you tighten it.  Bending it out a little is a good idea.  

The repro '70 hood mouldings are not all consistent. I just examined 2 cars that are Concours level with NOS trim, and there is a difference for sure from what we all can get as a Re-Pop.