potato

Trouble positioning door window

I have been going through the doors in my 69 mustang to get the windows installed correctly so they quit flopping around.  The doors have the glue-in style glass.

I watched the video that west coast cougar has about these windows.  I ordered the parts that glue to the glass since mine were either cracked or mutilated by a previous owner.

Like the video said, I glued the brackets to the windows with a 1 inch gap from each end.  I got the drivers side installed and it lines up very well.

On the passenger side, it seems like the window needs to slide back in the door at least an inch.  The problem is the regulator and the front vertical guide rod.  They will not allow the front gray piece thats glued to the window to move any further backward.  And because its glued to the window, the window cannot move any further backward.

Is there some magic voodoo to be able to slide the vertical guide rods backwards?  My current plan, now that this thing is firmly glued to the glass, is to drill 2 new holes on the part thats glued to the window so the guide piece is moved forwards a bit.  And then elongate the slot in it for the captured bolt where it attaches to the regulator.  That way, if this doesn't work out, I've only ruined 1 piece.

You guys are my last hope to be able to get this correctly adjusted before I break out the power tools.

26 minutes ago, potato said:

Is there some magic voodoo to be able to slide the vertical guide rods backwards? 

Yes, like just about everything on our cars manufactured in the 60's, there are adjustments built in. I don't agree 100% with the West Coast Cougar video but it's basically sound advice. Assuming you've measured correctly and the one inch is on the right side of the equation, you can adjust the guide rods by loosening a bolt on the bottom of the door. 

Pictured is a 69 window with measurements.  Most of us have seen this picture before.  I used it as the guide when I did my windows.  Before you do any custom 'make it work' creative fix's look around and try to solve the problem another way.  The stock assembly will work and you just need to figure that out.   Maybe try some different arm positions on the widow operator?  You say your 1" back on the forward bracket?  1/4" make that much difference?  My problem with the rods was in and out not forward or back.  Altering one item may start a chain reaction of corrections.  Patience you'll get it.  Brian

69 Window Measurements.jpg

And how "deep" inside the U channels of those gray parts should the glass be glued?  I played with my stuff some more and it seems like I have the glass down too deep.  The guide runs into the top of the guide rods and the window still needs to go up about another inch.

A picture of my window and brackets.  I shot the polyurethane into the cleaned bracket channel pror to glass install.  Seated the bracket all the way down.  Also trying to keep the glass centered in the bracket and following the contour/angle of the glass.  I trimmed the dried excess urethane after drying hard.  Also a picture of the shop manual page.  One trick I do remember; install glass in the door.  Hold the glass up to where it should be when window is closed.  Vice grips and a buffering rag at the door lock push button edge.  With the window locked in place begin install of the window operator arms and so on.  Some fiddling involved.  Brian

69 Door Window Glass 1.JPG

69 Shop Manual Door Glass a.jpg

Good info Brian. I too installed the glue on brackets fully into the glass. I stole this easy way to install the glass regulator arms and pieces from someone here. 

Screenshot_20230514-091249_Drive.thumb.jpg.b155586e701f045efff0b520cab83dad.jpg

5 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

A picture of my window and brackets.  I shot the polyurethane into the cleaned bracket channel pror to glass install.  Seated the bracket all the way down.

I wonder if somehow I have the wrong piece of glass then.  Like if the previous owner had maybe put a fastback window in my coupe, and just installed it so incredibly incorrectly that it somehow managed to work.  But then when I go to install it the correct way, the thing is too short.

I believe the door glass is the same across all models. In 1970 they switched the weatherstrip and put it on the rear window instead of the front. Is it possible you've got a mix of 69 and 70 glass? Bad picture of a 69 and 70 side by side.

DSCN1417.JPG

40 minutes ago, 69RavenConv said:

I believe the door glass is the same across all models. In 1970 they switched the weatherstrip and put it on the rear window instead of the front. Is it possible you've got a mix of 69 and 70 glass? Bad picture of a 69 and 70 side by side.

DSCN1417.JPG

I believe mine is 69 glass.  The door glass in the 70 is longer due to them moving the weather strip to the rear window.

And I believe fastbacks use unique door glass.  The coupe and convertible have the same, and the fastback has its own.  I reckon due to the angle of the windshield.

My glass appears to be too short top to bottom.  With it glued all the way into the U channels, it is not possible to roll it up far enough to touch the weather strip at the top.  I wonder if that is the cause for the glass also appearing to not fit front to back.

The door glass is not the same for all models. Coupe/convertible windshield posts are at a different angle. Thus the windshield and door glass are different. 

30 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

If one side fits good but other side does not, why don't you measure the right and left side glass and see if they are the same?

Its hard to get a really accurate measurement with the glass installed in the car.  Measuring the height along the back edge of the glass, the drivers side is about 15" and the passenger side is 13.5'.

26 minutes ago, potato said:

Its hard to get a really accurate measurement with the glass installed in the car.  Measuring the height along the back edge of the glass, the drivers side is about 15" and the passenger side is 13.5'.

1.5" is a lot of difference even if you can't get accurate measurement; looks like you have the wrong glass on passenger side if driver's side fits.

I think thats it then.  Time to order the correct window, and all the parts that glue to it.

And now I have a passenger window for a 69 fastback.  The only logical thing to do is buy the rest of the car that fits my window.  :D

My new window finally came in.  I gave it a quick measure and its 15" and some change tall, so shouldn't be another fastback one.  :D

I got all the different parts glued to the window.  Then a couple hours later realized I managed to somehow put the front one on backwards.  Despite checking it a dozen times and telling myself not to do it, I somehow did it.  :D  Luckily I caught it while the glue was still not fully cured.  I was able to get the bracket off and cleaned up and glued on the correct direction.

Something I noticed the first time gluing the bracket on is it was a bit of a chore keeping them from tilting.  This time around, I used a couple stakes and a clamp to hold the brackets so they're at least on the same plane with each other.  Whether or not that makes a difference, I'll know after the glue dries and I go to put this thing in.

image.thumb.png.c2334c5b0021d1a5e9222dc3452d1df8.png