Ridge Runner

60 70 rear seat side panels .

Getting started on the rear seat panels ,i have a set of fairly nice panels . The old paint is flaking off so i removed as much as i could ,especially where it is flaking .

Passenger side is in nice condition ,driver side has a couple of gouges that i filled with duraglass ,once it sets up i will sand it smooth .next step is to primer both panels with high build and block sand until perfect . Then reapply the texture ,a few days of drying time and i will mount them on a backing so they do not distort and use them for a brand new mold .they will have all factory holes and back side mounting bracket .

That original paint really stinks when sanded!

20230511_155925.jpg

20230511_160005.jpg

A couple questions to clear up my assumptions:

1. Are all the fastback rear seat panels the same for fold down and non-fold down?  I think so.
  2. Are they the same for 69/70?
  3. Are the coupe's and convertibles different?

All the little nicks and gouges are filled . Used silicone to bond it to some plywood and pine boards. See...my old antique irons came in handy to hold it all in position . 

Let the silicone dry and sand one more time ,hit with high build primer ,block sand one more time and it will be ready for texture .

20230512_154146.jpg

20230512_154158.jpg

20230512_154137.jpg

Great work! I didn't even think you could reproduce the texture, really nice work there.

Once finished, are these paintable? Or would the color be selected earlier in the process.

Would love a pair of white ones.

Waxed and 3 coats of mold release . 

Got ready to spray gel coat and ...i forgot to clean the gelcoat gun last time ! Damn damn damn ! Another gun down the toilet! 

Luckily i had an old back up ,now i get to buy another new one! Guess thats what happens when you are doing 10 things at once . One layer of mat today and finish up tomorrow and hopefully these molds will turn out with out any more surprises . 

20230519_082622.jpg

20230519_091319.jpg

I sanded off any loose splinters on the back of the mold ,cut it close and removed the panels from the molds . I have to scrub out the mold release ,trim to finish and they should be ready to make a set . Not sure but when i waxed the panels it may have smoothed texture a bit ,will not know until the first set is made  .

20230520_081940.jpg

20230520_081945.jpg

20230520_083434.jpg

20230520_083441.jpg