AusTex70

1970 Mach 1 - Texas Car

Decided to finally get around to do a little paint correction, the car had scratches, swirls, and blue and red marks around the car. I washed and clay bared the car then decided to try the Mequiar's DA Microfiber two step detailer. (Correction Compound D300  &  Finishing Wax D301). I have read good things about it, and it produces low dust residue when removing the compound. The only thing I did not like was how hard the compound was to buff off. Overall, I liked the product, and the results. 

IMG_9401.jpeg

IMG_9403.jpeg

The new T5Z has been grinding, so I called Modern Drive Line, and they had Tremec warranty it!
Only 500 miles on this T5Z.  Tremec, sent me a box, and return label.. all I needed to do was remove it, and drop off at Fed-Ex.  

IMG_0103.jpeg

IMG_0110.jpeg

While I waited.... I took care of some surface rust then painted the floor with some Eastwood rust encapsulator. 

Then I did the following for heat and soundproofing. 
1. Sound Deadner - pick your favorite brand. I had some left over from a past project. 
2. Decoupling - I used "Design Engineering Under Carpet Lite" (Carpet Lite)
3. ACC's Essex Carpet with the Mass Backing. It's also molded, and worked great. (Mass Backing)

Also, If your going to tackle something like this - do yourself a favor and purchase  10 inch heavy duty scissors, they cut thru all these products, and made the carpet install a breeze. 

1977504965_IMG_0151(1).thumb.jpeg.c092dd3a7c498573322ad0dad8d69ef8.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

On 9/20/2023 at 3:41 PM, AusTex70 said:

While I waited.... I took care of some surface rust then painted the floor with some Eastwood rust encapsulator. 

Then I did the following for heat and soundproofing. 
1. Sound Deadner - pick your favorite brand. I had some left over from a past project. 
2. Decoupling - I used "Design Engineering Under Carpet Lite" (Carpet Lite)
3. ACC's Essex Carpet with the Mass Backing. It's also molded, and worked great. (Mass Backing)

Also, If your going to tackle something like this - do yourself a favor and purchase  10 inch heavy duty scissors, they cut thru all these products, and made the carpet install a breeze. 

1977504965_IMG_0151(1).thumb.jpeg.c092dd3a7c498573322ad0dad8d69ef8.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

Looks great!  Out of curiosity, did you order your carpet kit direct from ACC or through one of the many vendors?

On 9/22/2023 at 6:43 PM, TexasEd said:

And how much of the carpet lite did your car take? I already have the sound deadening and the mass back carpet but want to add that extra layer.

Design Engineering 050113 Under Carpet Lite 70" x 72" Sound Absorption and Insulation (35 sq. ft.)

On 10/2/2023 at 11:09 PM, kblagron said:

I had a question on your hood and shaker.  I haven't seen a stripe on the hood quite like yours and also the 351 emblem on the shaker.  Was this something the PO did?

The previous PO repainted the car, and did not do the hood stripe correctly. As for the emblem, they also came with the car. I have seen them on some cars, and not others, not sure if they are correct or not. 

On 10/4/2023 at 9:31 AM, AusTex70 said:

The previous PO repainted the car, and did not do the hood stripe correctly. As for the emblem, they also came with the car. I have seen them on some cars, and not others, not sure if they are correct or not. 

Thanks, my paint shop was trying to paint mine like yours, and I was pretty sure it wasn't correct, so I had them paint it with the U-shaped stripe.  After seeing yours I was thinking  that maybe I wasn't right.  I have an aftermarket shaker, and wasn't sure either whether the numbers should be on there or not. 

10 hours ago, kblagron said:

Thanks, my paint shop was trying to paint mine like yours, and I was pretty sure it wasn't correct, so I had them paint it with the U-shaped stripe.  After seeing yours I was thinking  that maybe I wasn't right.  I have an aftermarket shaker, and wasn't sure either whether the numbers should be on there or not. 

What aftermarket Shaker did you go with???

This weekend I added some 351 numbers to the hood, from NPD, very nice quality, just a PITA to get centered. 

Also added the Procomp Hood Scoop PCE106.1007. Iam still using the bottom part of the old air cleaner, the PO hacked it up to fit the Jegs brand distributor.  I added a second set of threaded inserts that line up with new Procomp scoop's holes. I still think it's too tall, but it does not bind, so I guess I'll just go with it for now. 

I have a Holley Sniper with a 1/4 spacer, and planning to run a Hyperspark Distributor.  Hopefully the Procomp air clearer assembly will fit. 

IMG_1691.jpeg

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1712 2.jpg

scoop5.jpg

scoop6.jpg