moose425

FE Block Starter Removal

I have a 1969 Mustang with an FE block, 390.  Starter, which was an MSD high torque starter, has failed.  One of the hex head cap screws that held the starter to the block was easy to get to, the second cap screw required use of a boroscope in order to locate it.  Thus I have removed both fasteners.  The starter now "rocks" when I try to remove it; but will not break free.  I have looked and looked for a third cap screw holding the starter to the block but can't find one.  I removed the lower flywheel cover plate and the starter gear is clear and free of the flywheel.  I'm open to any ideas someone may have !!!  Thanks so much.   

Picture is of a stock 428 FE block, spacer plate and the stock C6OA-D bellhousing.  Three starter motor bolt holes.  The exhaust manifold is notched out to accommodate that bolt and is probably the one you can't find?  Brian

69 Starter Motor Hole 8-8-22 c.JPG

I have used two boroscopes and a mirror and I can't find a third fastener.  My car has headers, but everything else is stock.  There is ample clearance between the headers and the starter.   It is not as tight as shown in your picture.  I put this starter in years ago and I just can't remember if I used two or three fasteners.  I'm charging the boroscope up and I will look again tomorrow.  Thanks for the info and photo. 

What a yo-yo I am.  I loosened and removed the hex head cap screws that allow the electric motor to be clocked into a different position about the mounting plate.  I should have been loosening the three bolts that connect the mounting plate (and thus the electric motor) to the bell housing.  The hole locations in the photo above lead me to realizing my mistake.  The starter is now out of the car.  Thanks to the guy who posted the  photo.