Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

Subframe connector installation question

Is it ok to install subframe connectors (going with Global West 911 I think) with the engine/trans out of the car? In my mind I can imagine arguments either way. This is a 69 Mach I with a rather hot 428 and a 4 speed so I think the connectors will be necessary.

In general I agree with the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension is a good idea. However, if the car is solid and the panel gaps are to your satisfaction without the engine and trans I would not be afraid of installing without engine and trans. 

I made the mistake of welding SFC on a fox body Mustang with the engine/trans in the car, supported on jack-stands, placed at the front and rear torque boxes. Probably wouldn't have been too bad if I had supported it closer to the suspension areas. This placement allowed the nose to droop, once welded together and back on the ground there was a 1/2" gap between the B pillar and the door at the top. Never thought it would move that much... I've learned a little bit since then lol.

3 hours ago, latoracing said:

I made the mistake of welding SFC on a fox body Mustang with the engine/trans in the car, supported on jack-stands, placed at the front and rear torque boxes. Probably wouldn't have been too bad if I had supported it closer to the suspension areas. This placement allowed the nose to droop, once welded together and back on the ground there was a 1/2" gap between the B pillar and the door at the top. Never thought it would move that much... I've learned a little bit since then lol.

Wow! How'd ya fix it?

18 hours ago, ksquared said:

That's kinda what I was thinking but how do you get full weight on the wheels up on a hoist? I guess hoist at the wheels somehow?

4 post lift, on ramps, cribs or a few cinder blocks in the front yard if you want to be redneck.

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Wow! How'd ya fix it?

Tried to adjust the doors where it wasn't as oblivious, wasn't great, but was my first time. Second time on a running/driving car (also a fox body) put it on ramps which kept the weight on the wheels. No gap issues. Wouldn't think that adding two fairly short pieces of tubing could mess up a car that bad, goes to show how "rigid" unibody's really are.

(Also not a 69/70 Mustang) I prefer to not have any drivetrain what so ever when accomplishing major structure reinforcements. Get it straight and I'm betting that it will stay straight when the drivetrain is installed. 

IMG_3882.jpg.a245bb7567cf6592331ff34c064a0f69.jpg

Did my tinman connectors while the car was on the body cart. I would not do it the way I did on a convertible since there is a lot of body flex, but on a hardtop I had no concerns. Outside of the floor pans and front torque boxes my car was solid and all went well.

20190825_132103.thumb.jpg.a1f91756e0ffa712da59b1128a41b87c.jpg20200126_132124.thumb.jpg.1e5aaf98ac09844c05d04f5e4188c05e.jpg

Great picture of the floor pans and rails.  Questions;  The year and body style? Back seat area what is the large brace on the left for?  The circular backing plates are?  The frame rail holes for the forward leaf spring bolts.  Rubber and push in plugs?  Thanks, Brian

On 4/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, Brian Conway said:

Great picture of the floor pans and rails.  Questions;  The year and body style? Back seat area what is the large brace on the left for?  The circular backing plates are?  The frame rail holes for the forward leaf spring bolts.  Rubber and push in plugs?  Thanks, Brian

1970 Mach1 M-code.

The bracket is where the rear brake hardline connects to the flex hose to the rear axle. See picture below.

The circular plates are  threaded reinforcement plates for the rear seat belts (bucket side)

I am not sure what ou are asking here... The frame rail holes for the forward leaf spring bolts.  Rubber and push in plugs?  

20200418_14361x1.thumb.jpg.3c5b559c7970a6f78ff320c249bfb205.jpg

20200408_142452x.thumb.jpg.4f808e924027b8b6dda62626360ea531.jpg

Thank you for the reply and info.  Wasn't sure that was a fastback or what year?  The rear distribution block bracket is different than on my 69.  The leaf spring forward eye bolt frame rail grommet/plug seems to be an elusive item? Brian

Hi Brian,

Did you try NPD. If all you need is the two plugs, then this kit may be overkill.

PLUG AND GROMMET KIT, (44), repro, contents:377901 seat access hole and top of cowl under fender (10), 376966 front fender apron, trans crossmember (10), 377977 frame rail at sway bar (2), 378923 rear shock access hole (2), 378770 inner frame rails at transmission (2), 377949 trunk floor pan plug above frame rail, side of cowl at door hinge, LH apron behind shock tower (5), 377678 heater hose firewall for A/C cars (2), 377936 inner frame rails at radiator and center of firewall (5), 377356 rear spring front bolt access hole (2), 383181 top of cowl under fender (2), 011202 quarter panel drain (2)

NPD Part Number : 011136-5K
Manufacturer Reference #'s: 376970,