KMD88

69 Mach 1 - Lifting Points and Jack/Jack Stands

Hi everyone,

Wanted to start changing my own oil (and other projects down the line) and am putting my 69 Mach 1 on jack stands for the first time. I've watched some videos and have a pretty good idea of where to put the stands, but wanted to get the community's two cents on a couple points: 

1. What are the optimal jack points for the 69? 
  2. Any recommendations for jacks/jack stands? 

Thank you!

For something as simple as changing oil, I use the drive on ramps. Easy peasy.

When I need to lift the front or back, or both, I use the front torque boxes and lift the rear from the center of the rear housing. I rarely use jack stands anymore since I built a set of 2x4 cribbing stands. 

Screenshot_20230415-103631_Drive.thumb.jpg.7c5a3977367b727ded1a814f7c21dfe1.jpg

I have started using a floor jack on my built engine crossmember which has a jack pad welded to it. I made it from 1½ x .188 wall chromo round tube. Jacking from it is kind of a pain as I have a front spoiler and my 69 is lowered quite a bit. I have to drive into 2x8 planks to be able to get the jack to clear the spoiler. And I always use the rear axle to jack from.

The stock crossmember is not the strongest to be used for jacking, and it doesn't have a jack pad. Mine was bent up pretty good when I removed it years ago. 

Screenshot_20230416-143350_Drive.jpg.48e1d870eafc154c1baa8ec69617a97d.jpg

Got it, thanks for the info. Cool mod on the engine crossmember! 

On a related subject, what do you think of the Quick Jack solutions? I'm considering going that route as a long-term investment. 

On 4/15/2023 at 1:38 PM, RPM said:

For something as simple as changing oil, I use the drive on ramps. Easy peasy.

When I need to lift the front or back, or both, I use the front torque boxes and lift the rear from the center of the rear housing. I rarely use jack stands anymore since I built a set of 2x4 cribbing stands. 

Screenshot_20230415-103631_Drive.thumb.jpg.7c5a3977367b727ded1a814f7c21dfe1.jpg

What does the tire rest on ? Foot squared, looks to be 7 high?

Yes, there are seven 2x4s high, with a piece of ¾" osb on top. It's 11¼" in height, which works perfect for my floor jack's jacking height. 

I added a couple of 2x4s on the ends for tire roll. In my prior pic there are 2 thin pieces of steel with grease between them during the alignment. 

20230417_104234.thumb.jpg.d23b1b7b0cbdf029864f921c904bf76b.jpg

What are the factory recommended lifting points for picking up our cars on a 2 post lift?  I recently got my garage build and a big boy lift.  I have lifting guides for cars going back into the 90s.  Thats still just a few decades too new.

Should we use the pinch welds on the 69 mustangs?  Or torque boxes?  I did not see a great spot to pick up the back end of the car for when I want to pull the leaf springs.

image.thumb.png.a4188c8ded79edd53a4f750f42f4b3d6.png

My recommendation. Would be the frame rail where it overlaps with the tq box. NOT the large flat area of the tq box between the frame rail and pinch weld as it has no support in that area.

I cut a slot out of a 2x4 such that the pinch weld wasn't touching the bottom of the slot.  Then, I used that 2x4 with a 2 post lift when I needed to access frame rails and other areas normally used as a lift point.