Sign in to follow this  
Len69Coupe

Storage tips?

Well, it's finally here. I'm retiring in Jun and our house goes on the market next week. We've sold most of our stuff and the rest will go in storage, including the Mustang. We have a Motorhome and plan to travel the country for a few years. The Mustang will be in a 10X20 storage unit. Since the Mustang will be in storage for most of the year, anyone have tips for this? I've read to inflate the tires to max PSI or put it on jacks. Probably won't be able to put it on jacks. I'll treat the fuel with Sta Bil and make sure the tank is full as well. I'm thinking a lightweight car cover just to keep the dust off. Anything I'm missing?

I want to jack up the front and push it closer to the wall to save some room.  Is it safe to jack up the front by the large bar (crossmember?)? Not the sway bar.

Maybe get 4 tire/ wheel dollies to be able to move it safely close to the wall.

I'd disconnect the negative battery cable. 

Something to keep the mice away. No idea of what, if anything works.

Or let @Mach1Driver use it while you're gone. He's around the corner from you. 

Mice is a concern, but I was told by the storage people that they keep everything well baited. Just to cover my butt I think I'll get the glue traps. I'm on a couple RV Forums and people say the moth balls don't work. Most of them recommend peppermint oil on a sponge or cotton ball. It just doesn't last very long.

I had 4 of the wheel dollies and absolutely loved them. Not thinking, which happens more than it should, I sold them to a buddy when I finished getting the car back together. So, is it ok to jack up the front using the cross member?

I do have a negative battery disconnect; I will be using that.

Thanks guys.

6 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

So, is it ok to jack up the front using the cross member?

I wouldn't try it unless you have a Zray crossmember specifically designed to lift from (he's a well known member on VMF). The problem is slipping off the member and knocking a hole in something like your oil pan :(

Len,

Sorry I just saw this. I had to store mine for two years. Rural PNW so a lot mice and moisture.  I used a Carbag and when I opened it up, it was like it had been sealed. Heavy tarp kind of material. Not inexpensive, around $300, but I was sold and ended up buying for my other cars. For what it's worth. I also had it on stands inside the bag, but you have to take care putting it up there. I put moving blankets under the stands. 

https://www.carbag.com/shop/carjacket/m1/

Leaving the car on the tires will flat spot them over time. If you cannot put the car on stands then get a cheap set of roller tires and swap those on for storage

we had an issue with mice around my step daughters car that was stored next to the garage. I was reading about the Irish spring soap trick. I’m thinking no way but I can try it. After all it cheap.

holy cow, two bars under the hood and another one in the car and never saw another mouse dropping or scratching

stabil in the fuel is good.

i would remove the battery from the car and put it in a marine or plastic box on the ground 

i have see where people buy those small HF moving dollies and they work better than the wheel,pan type skates