potato

302 power steering belt and radiator hose woes

A previous owner has put a 302 and an aftermarket aluminum radiator in my car.  The power steering bracket looks to be an OEM part, but possibly a truck bracket instead of one for a car.  And the bracket appears to have a stripped out or missing tensioning bolt.

So the end result is the power steering belt is kinda loose and flops around enough that it whacks into the lower radiator hose.  Eventually it wore a hole in the hose, which isn't good.  

I got a preformed hose which appeared to be the correct shape, but one end was not the correct diameter.  My water pump and radiator fitting are 2 different sizes.  I was able to find one of those generic accordion hoses on the wall at autozone that fit and got me back home.  But now 20 miles later, the generic hose kinked at the bend.  I guess the bend is too sharp for it.

So I have 2 issues.  First, is there a preformed hose for a 69 mustang with a 302 with different size openings on each end?  The one thats on it now is Dayco 81241, which I believe is 1.5" and 1.75".

Second, since my power steering bracket seems to be incorrect and damaged, I probably need a new one.  I'm considering one of those kits with all the pulleys and the billet brackets.  Do any of those pull all the accessories in real night and tight?  Or if I wanted to go with the correct style bracket, is that a simple swap for what I have now?  If I can just swap out a few bolts and it'll just work, I may do that.  hopefully I wont need to swap out the water pump and all that jazz.

image.thumb.png.e68e9f39f709411c32a18d07cb1a3351.png

image.thumb.png.d968b03c51eae71f941af7a8a77f9a1b.png

image.thumb.png.a32ea1588db54d7601ecb0e18e33c07b.png

31 minutes ago, Midlife said:

That's not good to have a radiator hose kinked that severely; it may stop water flowing.

Exactly!  Thats part of what I'm asking about.  I'm looking for a preformed hose so I can get rid of this one that's kinked.

That's a 70 set up with the driver outlet. 

If you can cross reference from a Mackay branded hose, either a CH959 or CH924 will fit. The difference is how long the 'tail' is that comes out of the radiator.

This has the correct kink in it to clear the OEM power steer belt. I don't know what the outlet sizes are, they are the original size. 

That power steer setup is just all wrong. Junk it and start again.

MacKay lower hose.png

5 hours ago, smh00n said:

That's a 70 set up with the driver outlet. 

If you can cross reference from a Mackay branded hose, either a CH959 or CH924 will fit. The difference is how long the 'tail' is that comes out of the radiator.

This has the correct kink in it to clear the OEM power steer belt. I don't know what the outlet sizes are, they are the original size. 

That power steer setup is just all wrong. Junk it and start again.

MacKay lower hose.png

Some places are listing the diameter for that as 44mm, which is about 1.75" on both ends.  I wonder if these guys make one with a smaller end, too.

My boxes of parts came in this week.  I went with the CVF racing kit with all the brackets and pulleys.  The AC bracket and pulley are still in the box for whenever I want to add AC.  Radiator hose is Continental brand from summit and fit after I trimmed a couple inches off.

I still need to replace the fan and shroud.  I have been trying to figure out what all to order for a shroud, fan, and fan clutch that will fit this motor and radiator combination.  

image.thumb.png.7a0f3e459a6ecff1480ad14a3e8bbcbf.png

image.thumb.png.3223197871595506dc4de332bb81b198.png

image.thumb.png.72f8e5413f44aa99c82bbf15e03cc570.png

6 hours ago, potato said:

My boxes of parts came in this week.  I went with the CVF racing kit with all the brackets and pulleys.  The AC bracket and pulley are still in the box for whenever I want to add AC.  Radiator hose is Continental brand from summit and fit after I trimmed a couple inches off.

I still need to replace the fan and shroud.  I have been trying to figure out what all to order for a shroud, fan, and fan clutch that will fit this motor and radiator combination. 

Well dang, none of the links can be copied and pasted to see what it is. Do you have the "snipping tool" to take a picture?

4 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Well dang, none of the links can be copied and pasted to see what it is. Do you have the "snipping tool" to take a picture?

I edited the post.  Are you able to see the pictures now?

3 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Yes thanks. I can't offer much help as I have a 351w and the accessory drives are attached quite differently.

I have a 351w in one of my other cars.  And when I finally blow up this 302, it'll get replaced with a 351w.  :D

I do like this CVF bracket and pulley kit.  It says it works on both 302 and 351.  I'll go beat up on it a bit.  If it holds up well, I will use it again on my other motors.