Sign in to follow this  
dmdsprite

Steering

So... Purchased a 6cyl auto 70 vert over a year ago.  Guy I purchased it from is a mechanic, and was supposed to do a swap with a 351w and a t5.  It's now with a second shop, after the first guy essentially gave up.  Most of its needs are getting sorted, but I need advice regarding steering.  It was originally power steering.  I was told the steering needed rebuilt. So with a 351w (really a 393w), a t5, headers of some sort, and plans on adding aftermarket a/c... Should I try and get the original ps rebuilt, get a new original ps from chockostang, get a borgeson ps kit put in, or get a steeroids rack and pinion ps unit? Seems like each of these has some major drawback. 

Thanks.  Some of the info on the interwebs seems to indicate constant leaking and other issues with the factory units...so I didn't want to throw big money to replace or rebuild the factory stuff, just to have to deal with ongoing issues.  

So of course I made the mistake of continuing to read, and came across a bunch of threads about electric power steering.  Most seem to be using the units from prius or Saturn Vue.  Can anyone comment on how much of an issue space is with a clutch pedal? Also, anyone try using Subaru BRZ/scion frs / Toyota gt86 epas units? They're newer, cheap on ebay, and brunosteering makes a gps speed controller doodad for it, so it varies the amount of ps boost based on your speed. 

4 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

Converted mine to manual steering when I put in the 351W/T5 still loving it. That was at least 8 years ago

Did mine around 8 years ago too. One of the best changes I did to Christine, the other was manual brakes. 

I redid the steering and suspension in my 69.  Ball joints, tie rods, cylinders, control valve, etc.  Even with everything redone, its still not nice and tight.

If you are starting from scratch and converting a manual steering car to power steering, I would pick something else besides the early style mustang power stuff.  Either a rack and pinion mustang 2 setup or just leave the manual setup in and switch to an electric power assist steering column.  The sell columns read yto go into our cars.  You dont need to buy saturn parts and DIY anything.

I've just done a Borgeson power steer swap. Not impressed, as heavy as manual steer at parking speed, big and bulky box and a lot of expense. The parking speed weight will probably disappear with a smaller pulley as when I rev it it lightens up, but not what I expected.

The steering box has no fluid in it. Pump and ram do. Put in a flaming river unit eons ago. Then took the pump and ram off. With headers the bracket that relocates the ram would always scrape the pavement, speed bumps, driveway humps. 
Had others that were contemplating a rack & pinion drive my car. They changed their mind and called Flaming River. 

The more i read about the Saturn vue/ Toyota prius electric power steering, the better it sounds. There's a a gps chip you can use so it knows how fast you are going, and varies assist level based on that. Allows you to get rid of all the under hood power steering stuff. 

1 hour ago, Mike65 said:

I dumped the P/S setup & went to a manual setup with a Choko rebuilt box & a roller idler arm from Opentracker Racing & it steers like it has power steering.

Roller Idler Arm, Manual Steering (1967-1970) Mustang Cougar - Opentracker Racing

Yep, ditto.