Sign in to follow this  
Dominic55

Dash Pod not working

Help... I have a original 1970 Convertible Mustang 351 Cleveland 4sd.  Clutch flange that help spring broke and needing welding,  i disassembled the steering column , the clutch push rod removed bell housing along with break petal....Once you the flange  was reassembled  clutch and pedal were good. The steering wheel was reattached to the dash and function fine..

THE PROBLEM 

The dash pod which was just removed and functioned properly before removal, removal the dash pod required me to unplug the main input off the wiring harness and the black ground from the dash board.

When the dash pod was reassembled and put back in all the gauges failed except am meter and speedo. 

In attempting to make them function, i replaced the circuit board attached to the dash pod twice and the voltage regulator on the circuit board as well,

now nothing works and they prior to the clutch pedal repair.

Is there a fuse , ground or fusible link that might have blown???

The fusible link near the starter relay is intact and functional, the fuse box under dash is good. 

What could be the problem any input would be appreciated.

Thanku

Dominic

By replacing the circuit card, your gauges are probably shorting out to the metal case.  Measure resistance between any gauge post and the metal dash cluster itself, and if you see 1 or 14 ohms (approximate), then one of them has shorted (all are connected via the CVR output line except for the ammeter).  Loosen the nuts and re-set the gauge until you get kilo-ohm resistance.

There should not be a separate ground line to the dash cluster; there is a separate ground line that attaches to every item that uses a ground, including the main lug that holds the CVR in place.  The latter is how the dash cluster itself gets its ground, in addition to any screws that holds it in place.

It is definitely the guage studs shorting out. Ask me how I know. Had this problem many years ago and since I have passed this information on to many 69 and 70 owners that state the same concern as yours since then. Bob

Looks like just about everyone has experienced this the first time the touch the circuit board. The electrical tape looks like a great idea. No idea why it isn't insulated in the first place.

4 hours ago, bigmal said:

Looks like just about everyone has experienced this the first time the touch the circuit board. The electrical tape looks like a great idea. No idea why it isn't insulated in the first place.

Stupid design engineers or penny-pinching bean-counters.