Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

What width 9" Rear do I need?

If I had my car now I'd measure my 8" rear to get the info but it is in the shop.  What is the width of:

• Drum face to drum face?
  • End of Tube to End of Tube?
  • Outer edge of spring pads?

Spring pads are supposed to be on the bottom, right?  If you get a truck one they will be on top and have to be moved, correct?

Thanks, this is what I need because a lot of the ones I see list different things.  Some with axles some without, etc.

I would like to avoid modifying the axle width so I will focus on that 55 3/4" tube end to tube end.  If they have the right spring perches then I'll take that as a bonus.

I could be entirely wrong but I seem to remember some 67 to 70  OEM rear end assemblies that I measured was around 59 1/8 axle flange to axle flange. The reason I was measuring them is because at the time I was building an 8.8 from an explorer to go in my 69. That would put the bare housing from end to end to be 54 1/8. I build the 8.8 to these dimensions  and when all done running a 17 x 8 zero offset wheel with 245 x 17 tire on back it did rub the quarter lip when running over a dip in the road , so I had to roll the lips. If the 8.8 had been the earlier one with drum brakes it would have been perfect but it was original disk brakes and the rotors add about another 1/2 inch over all width. 

@TexasEd,

While my measurements are accurate to this housing it appears my housing is NOT for a 67-70 Mustang/Cougar. I never intended to mislead anyone and apologize for any problems this may have caused!

Good news is now i get to spend some more money.

54 1/4” is what I have read elsewhere for flange to flange. This falls inline with @det0326 measurements. Add 5” to that and you 59 1/4” for axle flange to flange. This is also what I have read elsewhere.

Mike

Thanks,  I see a facebook add for one out of a 67-70 Mustang in Dallas.  I think they want to much for it, only 28 spline and open diff.  I may try to negotiate it down.  I'd have to make a trip to get it.

11 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Thanks,  I see a facebook add for one out of a 67-70 Mustang in Dallas.  I think they want to much for it, only 28 spline and open diff.  I may try to negotiate it down.  I'd have to make a trip to get it.

They are getting hard to find around here. I paid 200, 3 years ago just for the housing and had to have perches welded on. Paid 500 last year for a complete with brake plates. Just an fyi, 8” plates and axles will work just fine in a 9” housing, 28 spline oh course.