Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

302 to 351w conversion. Which intake, heads and headers?

I can find a lot on building a 302 block due to the Fox body guys but not much on 351W. 
We pulled the 302 out of my car and while the intake, heads and other accessories were all original the block was a 75 block already bored 30 over. So now I’m looking at getting a roller 351w to put in with the stock bottom end. 
My builder wants to stick with the Trick Flow 170 11R head’s with 53cc chambers we planned to use on the 347 stroker but I don’t think we can use the RPM Air Gap on a 351 due to hood clearance. 

Still putting in a built T5 and going to 3.8 gears. Goal is about 400hp from carbureted engine. Which intake: RPM Performer, Weiand Stealth or other?  Should we consider other heads?

I’m going to have to sell my ceramic JBA shorty headers too  don’t think they work on 351.  I’ll take recommendations on those that work with stock steering, power brakes and a T5.

Thanks

I had a 351w in my 69 with AFR heads. Never owned  trick flow heads but heard good things about them. On mine I used the FiTech EFI but my understanding it is the same height as the stock 4 barrel. I also used the RPM performer intake and 2 inch filter with no drop down and I had 1 inch hood clearance with stock motor mounts. 

I think they are 289/302 specific and not long enough but not 100% sure.  I could hold on to them but not sure they will fit.  I know you need different headers for GT40P heads and some other aftermarket heads.  

https://jbaspeedshop.com/i-22726194-65-73-mustang-289-302.html

They make a model 1650S for 302 and 1653 for 351W

Ya, mixing and matching parts doesn't always go according to plan. Back circa Y2K I bought some cheap Hedman hedders made for 302/351w swaps. The good thing with the taller 351w is the collectors were tucked up nicely.