Sign in to follow this  
Sulphur2

69 Fastback Head Liner Advice

Had a new headliner put in after paint. The bars didn't line up with existing holes and the two springs to keep the bows upright were too short. The installer adapted and it looks ok. Main issue is the length didn't have enough to fold a bit under the front windscreen prior to install. It is held ok so far by the front headliner molding.

Is this ok or should I get another headliner?

If it is tight and glued well it may hold up.  Mine has apparently been that way at least since 1985.  I think the original owner had the windshield replaced and the installers cut the headliner out of the windshield channel and glued it up under the front trim piece.  Just found that yesterday as I was taking trim off for painting the car and a new windshield.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't found anyone here who can tell me if the replacement will be able to be cut just inside the screen glue. I know that with the molding holds it pretty good and allows the liner to be replaced without the front screen removal.  It's expensive here to do again (approx $300 + screen & rear window removal/replacement cost) especially if the second is the same as the first. My front and rear glass / moldings were poorly done so I guess I'll risk another liner.

1 hour ago, Sulphur2 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't found anyone here who can tell me if the replacement will be able to be cut just inside the screen glue. I know that with the molding holds it pretty good and allows the liner to be replaced without the front screen removal.  It's expensive here to do again (approx $300 + screen & rear window removal/replacement cost) especially if the second is the same as the first. My front and rear glass / moldings were poorly done so I guess I'll risk another liner.

Not sure if the front should fold under even a little bit. Couple of original headliners I removed were not folded and ended even with the edge of the front windshield channel.

44 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Not sure if the front should fold under even a little bit. Couple of original headliners I removed were not folded and ended even with the edge of the front windshield channel.

This is mine. I thought it was original but stopping before the glass gave me pause. There is no glue further up. The front trim covers this and the headliner went over the holes for the trim so the screws went through the material.

57D2E634-7394-4C22-9C9D-7D16ECBD824C.jpeg

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

This is mine. I thought it was original but stopping before the glass gave me pause. There is no glue further up. The front trim covers this and the headliner went over the holes for the trim so the screws went through the material.

57D2E634-7394-4C22-9C9D-7D16ECBD824C.jpeg

I think they did not fold the edge to eliminate the possibility of a leak as there is no gasket for the windshield; you can’t control how the windshield adhesive will flow and not cover the headliner edge thus creating a leak. 

Your’s look like original install to me.

Many thanks for the pics guys. I'll show them to the glass guy I usually use. He normally uses the heated type of sealing on the front windscreen. Unfortunately, the liner was gone when the fastback was purchased.  The latest liner looks ok, but the two rear tensioning springs could not be used as the bows did not line up with the holes. Have decided to order another liner tomorrow & hope the color will match.