Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Hey Mach1 Driver, Ya Seen These LEDs?

Hey Bob. Yes I've seen them and the above video (good video by the way). The Holley's have been around for a while now. Hands down, they are the best LED  headlight currently on the market. It is DOT approved and obviously they have put big bucks into developing the things. Unfortunately they appear to want to recoup the development dollars in a very short time- hence the outrageous cost. Recently I've seen the price drop by 10%, so all four would go for around $684. You could probably talk yourself into buying them if you used the 7-inchers (thus only needing two) - but we need four of the little suckers for the 69! You 70s guys are in luck though. Cost and the plastic lenses are the only drawbacks I see to them. At this time, I think it still makes more sense to go with DOT approved Sylvania halogens and relays, but I keep watching the prices. At least the option is out there if you Just Have To Have LEDs.

Thanks Terry. Ya, that price is killer, and the reason I was thinking of just getting two. 

Very true Brian. I do at least one long distance trip a year where I drive at night. Lots of deer out at night in Colorado, the plains, Texas etc. 

I did the headlight relay mod a couple of years ago, which greatly improved them. 

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Yeah I wonder if it would look horrible with 2 for drivers and leave halogens for high beams 

Good point, I'll bet you could only tell when they are turned on, and it would just be less light. They have a couple of frequency ranges- one is called classic white at 3000k, and the other is modern white at 5700k. Halogen bulbs range from 3200k to 4300k.