Sign in to follow this  
Ridge Runner

Interior fiberglasspanel texture

So i got a little bored today and decided to go to home depot ,just walking around and wind up in the paint department when i see this ,Rustoleum hammered paint in black . I thought what the hell and bought a couple of cans . I have a set of the fold down fiberglass panels and thought i would try it out and see if it was close . I scuffed the panels with green skotch brite and sprayed a coat ,let that set up a hit it with one more coat ,i would say it is damn near a perfect match for the factory texture ,i only sprayed half the panel so i could compare .  Now i didnt prep it very well so i will have to clean it off and do a correct paint job but now i can retexture some panels i have here and make some new molds ,i even have the two smaller top strip fiberglass pieces i have been wanting to make molds for ,the pieces at the top corners of the back seat for the non fold down. I want to make a two sided press mold of these so they will be smooth on the back and textured on the front as original . 

20230125_144252.jpg

20230125_144259.jpg

20230125_144329.jpg

I tried to order fiberglass materials today,everything is back ordered . ISO resin ,black tooling gel coat ,catalyst ,and the price increase is down right rediculous!

I guess it will give me time to re texture some rear seat panels and those nonfold down trim pieces . Going to allow the texture paint to cure a week or so just to make sure it os dried well before i make the molds .

I made the molds for the rear fold down trim panels a few years ago and they are perfect ,i have only made a couple of sets but they turned out perfect .  

I made this pair of rear fold down panels for my 69 ,they are a bit dusty ,i made the molds from a perfect set of original panels ,i have black gel coat on order so i can make the panels in black ,or white for different color interiors ,white can be painted to match any interior color .

20230130_092811.jpg

20230130_092820.jpg

20230130_092828.jpg

These things are so small and fragile ,i already dropped one twice! 

Sprayed the texture ,it looks like it is best to spray a light coat and then a couple of heavier coats after the first dries ,it is really glossy until it dries then is about an egg shell finish. Some how i will have to glue them to a wood block to make a mold because they are so small .

These will set a few days so the paint can cure well ,my materials are on back order so it should work out perfect .

20230130_125842.jpg

20230130_125724.jpg

20230130_125714.jpg

Ok ,i sanded out any imperfections ,scuffed it well with a green scotch brite ,tack ragged it and sprayed 3 coats ,go light and allow each coat to set up in between . These are wet but you can now see the grain ,i held the can about 12 inches from the panels

20230131_133620.jpg

20230131_133256.jpg

Ok , i have the two little stationary seat trims gel coated ,both pieces will be made in one mold then each piece trimmed out .once this piece ,the top ,is trimmed i will lay up the under side mold ,not sure if i should leave the numbers on the back side ...could cause problems??

My materials still havent made it so i did the mold in white tooling gel coat ,if i get all i ordered the actual pieces will be black 

20230208_122801.jpg

Have the two halves of the mold apart ,and no damage to the mold or the two original pieces . The originals wernt to easy to get out of the mold but the new pieces should just jump right out . The first couple will be a practice run just to see what i have to do to get them to turn out like i want . 

My materials just made it in so i may try to make a couple in black this week end ,pieces this small are hard to make ,especially with my big fat fingers ! 

20230210_112117.jpg

20230210_112126.jpg

20230210_112943.jpg

20230210_113818.jpg

Ok boys n girls! First ones out of the mold ,a couple of very tiny flaws but i know what will take care of that . 

They are so small i have to be very careful when trimming them but i can guarantee they are a lot tougher than the original pieces .

Now for the rear seat panels ,i am going to completely re work my set ,re texture and make a new set of molds .  

20230211_100454.jpg

20230211_100508.jpg

20230211_100530.jpg

20230211_100534.jpg