Peter K

Rotors on a 1969 Fastback

The difference in the part number is that the 70 rotor will have the races for the 70 bearings.

the rotor and hub are the same, just the inner race/bearing is different.

so, technically the 69 boss302 used the bigger bearing spindles like the 70 so your clone boss302 is that much more accurate.

and the bigger bearings are better from a performance/durability stand point

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

First I want to thank everyone that took the time to help me solve this problem, I couldn't have done it without all of you.

What solved the problem was getting rotors (with races) for a 1970 Mustang vs. the 1969.

Both model years use the same inner and outer bearings and as such I did not have to re-replace them.

I did notice immediately that the inner bearing sat further down in the race, the outer bearing I believe did as well since I now have plenty of clearance for the cotter pin through the castle nut.

So the spindle numbers I have are obviously a 1970 model year that require a 1970 rotor with the corresponding races. RPM pointed this out.....D0ZA

As I mentioned early on the brake job that was done prior had the incorrect rotor, the shop must have taken something off the pads to allow the rotor to function.

I hope this helps someone else out in the future.

PK

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Learned something new.  I knew you could use the 5 lug drum spindles for discs but not that 69 and 70 needed different rotors.

Kinda confused by Peter's last post. I always thought the 1 piece hub and rotor was same for 1969 and 1970, just a different bearing. also the tapered hole in 1970 spindle is bigger so u have to use 1970 tie rod. 

Edited by det0326
edited last sentence about spindle so I don't confuse anyone

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Learned something new.  I knew you could use the 5 lug drum spindles for discs but not that 69 and 70 needed different rotors.

Drum spindles do not have provisions/mounting points for caliper brackets like disc spindles.

2 hours ago, det0326 said:

Kinda confused by Peter's last post. I always thought the 1 piece hub and rotor was same for 1969 and 1970, just a different bearing. also the tapered hole for outer tie rod is bigger so u have to use 1970 tie rod. 

As far as I know, the basic discs/hubs (without races installed) are the same, but bearing races are different. Discs come with races installed so there is a 69 disc part number with 69 race installed, and a 70 part number with 70 race installed.

2 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Drum spindles do not have provisions/mounting points for caliper brackets like disc spindles.

I used my original drum spindles and installed disc brakes.  I wish I had gone with the KH setup but I have the CSRP kit which I think is a Granada setup.

This is my car.  The calipers mount on the two holes you can see to the left of the backing plate.

20180311_184751_zpsnkhdrg92.thumb.jpg.80e575d3117d25ef12d462703bb7beb5.jpg

20180311_215213_zpsrcutj8tj.thumb.jpg.4dd8218e84469635469e4133e79a2c79.jpg

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I used my original drum spindles and installed disc brakes.  I wish I had gone with the KH setup but I have the CSRP kit which I think is a Granada setup.

This is my car.  The calipers mount on the two holes you can see to the left of the backing plate.

20180311_184751_zpsnkhdrg92.thumb.jpg.80e575d3117d25ef12d462703bb7beb5.jpg

20180311_215213_zpsrcutj8tj.thumb.jpg.4dd8218e84469635469e4133e79a2c79.jpg

Ed, that is a KH style 4 piston set up, not Granada. Original 69-70 cars have single piston calipers. That kit you used comes with the bracket for KH style calipers to attach to drum spindles (attached with the 4 bolts that go through the dust shield). I  used the same KH style kit on one of my 69s to convert from drum to disc. 

You can't install original 69-70 Mustang (and Granada) single calipers and caliper brackets on a drum spindle. Original 69 and 70 caliper brackets do not mount through dust shield mounting points like the KH style.

Here are some pictures of 1970 drum spindle, Here are some pictures of 1970 disc spindle (69 spindle similar with smaller diameter pin and smaller tie rod); you can see the extra holes on disc spindle (not the holes for dust shield) to install the 69-70 caliper bracket you can see here