Peter K

Rotors on a 1969 Fastback

Glad to see a forum dedicated to these Mustangs......

I recently decided to do a complete front brake job on my '69 Mustang Fastback with a 302. I got rebuilt calipers, new rotors (with races preinstalled), pads, and bearings.

I packed the inner and outer wheel bearings with grease and tightened the spindle nut. While installing the calipers with the pads attached then tightening the bolts I noticed the outer pad was snug and rubbing against the rotor. The inner pad since the caliper was fully retracted had ample space. I also noticed that the spindle nut barely left any room to put the entire cotter pin in, I could only get half of the pin in. 

Mind you I purchased all of these parts from my local NAPA store.

Here is what I believe is the problem.....

The inner and outer races inside both rotors are too far apart from each other, both inner and outer races are seated up against their respective lips so they cannot go any deeper. This is true for both the old and new replacement rotors. I would think an extra 2mm in on both races would solve the problem.

The distance between both races is just under 2 inches, I'm guessing 1 7/8.

The bearings do seat properly into the races so those pieces appear to match.

I'm assuming I need to get rotors that are more precise. I wish I could get specs on various rotors with the correct spacing measurement or know what the correct number should be. The owner before me said the spindles are correct and were never replaced.

I will buy whatever I need to get this going if someone could tell me where to go I would appreciate it.

Thanks PK

Welcome to the forum. Do you know if your car came with factory disc brakes when new or is it possible someone did a Granada swap along the way? I think the parts are a little different. It's likely a 302 car like yours (and mine) may have come with front drums from the factory. Folks smarter than me will chime in.

Thanks for the quick reply.....

That I do not know, I do know that the rear brakes were converted by the prior owner but those work fine (thankfully) and did most of the stopping before I noticed there were issues.

I agree with you that something must have changed along the way.

I have seen some blurbs about "Granada" while doing some on-line research. This may be a stupid question but is this "Granada" upgrade using parts from the old Ford Granada?

PK

Welcome to the forum Peter. On the inner side of the spindle upright is a part number, which on mine are upside down, and read D00A.

20230124_110135.thumb.jpg.6c434ca6e813fcf06ed4437deb9426f7.jpg

20230124_110116.thumb.jpg.04462194bc415f57fdc8f7750203ef1e.jpg

That part or manufacturing number will tell us which vehicle it was made for. 

How about a little info on you? Where you're from, pics of your 69, and a little info on your Mustang please. 

8 hours ago, Peter K said:

I have seen some blurbs about "Granada" while doing some on-line research. This may be a stupid question but is this "Granada" upgrade using parts from the old Ford Granada?

Yes, the old Ford Granada. Back in the day you could find a fleet of them in the junkyards and get the front disc brakes cheap, so a lot of folks made the switch. Today, the Granadas are all gone and they reproduce the original Mustang brakes so people go that route instead.

20 hours ago, nymustang1969 said:

From the part number those are 1970 spindles. They use a different larger size bearing. You can either exchange the rotors for 1970 ones, or change the bearings and races to the 1970 design. The actual rotor is the same.

You referring to my spindles? Yes, they are 1970. But I was merely showing where they are located and what they look like. My 69 disc spindles have the same numbers as Brian's. 

Here are the pics I took of the spindles as well as that of the car. Unfortunately it's not BOSS, it's a "tribute".  I knew that when I bought it. The first 2 pics are driver side, the last one is passenger side. Please tell me what these are. Thanks to everyone that has chimed in.

IMG-2384.thumb.jpg.77f1252b4a200e0d2faaed26b8cea627.jpgIMG-2383.thumb.jpg.22a5d1178c50074a228407c7a989742e.jpgIMG-1961.thumb.jpg.1303bc6c67f82bbe539d3caee1e6c213.jpgIMG-2386.thumb.jpg.c31feaa245f85b963e6710688abf7fea.jpg

Thanks, that's why I bought it.

Have it for almost 6 years now. Crate motor with Edelbrock heads, headers etc. Guy before me put in a Tremec 5 speed so it runs well on the highway.

Get a lot of compliments on it.

I could see them a little better on my home pc. Looks like maybe D0A_ but not sure. 70 spindles are slightly bigger in diameter and use larger bearings. I have 70 spindles on mine from a 70 cougar.

The bearings I have do fit properly (bore) over the back and front of the spindle, I can't make out the stampings on the spindles however one of them does look similar to what RPM shows on his pic. The numbers on the old bearings match the new ones, the old rotor was not installed properly either.

Does anyone know what the numbers of the Granada spindles are supposed to be?

Yes it is Royal Maroon.....

I can barely see it but the second half of the part numbers are 3107C and 3108C. I'm not sure about the the first string of numbers. I believe the clue lies there. Does anyone know what the numbers for a 70's spindle are supposed to be??

2 hours ago, Peter K said:

So what I am seeing for the spindles are part numbers D04A 3017C and D04A 3108C

Does anyone know if these are valid numbers? If so what model do they represent?

Can they be D0ZZ? If so, take a look here.

I think I see D0ZA on your spindle. D0=1970, I'm pretty sure the Z is Mustang. I struggle with these numbers like a lot of guys. 

One of the most knowledgeable Mustang guys is Dan "Chocko" who owns Chockostang.com. He usually closes shop for a couple of winter months, but does sometimes reply on VMF, Vintage Mustang Forums. I'd post a question there and tag Chocko. 

Right you are RPM, I can kind of clearly see that D0ZA are the correct 4 numbers and letters on both spindles.....good eye!!

So I will assume that I need rotors that match the following spindles:

D0ZA 3107C & D0ZA 3108C

What I am also hearing is that may in fact be a 1970 Mustang front spindle.

My next task will be to go to NAPA with that information, bring my new bearings and rotors that don't quite fit and see if in fact there is a difference, specifically the space between the 2 races.

aslanfe - Thanks for the link to Chocko's webpage I don't see my spindles there but I do have a better understanding of what to look for.

Does everyone agree??

I know really nothing about Granada brakes. I don't care for the one piece hub and rotors, even though I've had misalignment issues with some of the 2 piece rotor and hubs that have the flange offset by I think ~3/16". I've read conflicting info that the Granada hub is offset by that same ~3/16". With no manufacturing number on the hub, I have no idea. 

I guess what I'm saying is it might be possible to get a one piece Granada hub/disc that would be offset when mounted to your Mustang spindle.

If you don't have Dan Chocko's number, 217-882-2083.

I was on NAPA's website and looked up the part numbers for rotors for a 1969 Mustang Fastback and they are what I purchased according to the receipt (threw out the boxes). There is a different part number for the 1970 mustang front rotor. Unfortunately there are no detailed specs on either on the web page. I am going to go back to NAPA with my new bearings and rotors and see what the difference is, hopefully this will be the answer. I will keep everyone posted.

PK

1 hour ago, Peter K said:

I was on NAPA's website and looked up the part numbers for rotors for a 1969 Mustang Fastback and they are what I purchased according to the receipt (threw out the boxes). There is a different part number for the 1970 mustang front rotor. Unfortunately there are no detailed specs on either on the web page. I am going to go back to NAPA with my new bearings and rotors and see what the difference is, hopefully this will be the answer. I will keep everyone posted.

PK

68-73 Mustang rotors without the bearing races are the same. Read this page. for Mustang spindle and rotor info.