Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Any value in an original 69 302?

Getting ready to rebuild my engine.  It is a survivor stock 302.  I have everything for it except the original carb is damaged and the heat riser tube rusted away years ago.

My plan is to bore and hone the original block and then build the new engine with just the block as original.  I’ll have all the old components that can be sold or donated for a restoration but just making sure to just go with my original plan.  If I had a 428 or Boss 302 we would not be talking about this, it would stay original. 

This is just my 2 cents Ed, if I were in you're shoes knowing what I know now about classic cars, I would put the original engine up somewhere safe and get a later model roller. Not for just that reason tho there are several  improvements that I like, things like a better style rear oil seal.  Like I say tho that is just me but my thoughts are if I build HP with the original block I would drive it like a bandit and blow a rod out the side and it would be lost forever.

Yeah, I originally was going to do a milder build and the original block would be good for that.  I'll ask my builder.  There is a part of me that wants to say it still has the original engine in it ;)

I also need to figure out what to do with my C4 transmission.  I don't have a lot of storage space for any of this stuff.

19 hours ago, det0326 said:

This is just my 2 cents Ed, if I were in you're shoes knowing what I know now about classic cars, I would put the original engine up somewhere safe and get a later model roller. Not for just that reason tho there are several  improvements that I like, things like a better style rear oil seal.  Like I say tho that is just me but my thoughts are if I build HP with the original block I would drive it like a bandit and blow a rod out the side and it would be lost forever.

In total agreement with this! Pull yours, put it away, and build off a newer and better set up. 

I get your arguments from a nostalgia or packrat perspective but argue these assumptions

1. The value in my original 302 engine is in the block.  The rest of the parts (heads, intake, crank, etc.) with maybe the exception of the distributor and 4100 carb are worth their weight in scrap. My 4100 is probably parts only.
  2. If kept the engine and transmission would collect dust and deliver some shin bruises but would otherwise sit there until I die and then my kids have to do something with it.  In the meantime I'll hear about it from my wife every couple weeks. 
  3. I can sell the C4 and shifter and get a little money for them.  Same with the valve covers, air cleaner and snorkel.
  4. Early 68-69 blocks are stronger than 80's roller blocks and except for need to add roller lifters will work great
  5. No-one wants a stock 302 2v in their car unless it is some rare edition they are keeping original.  Probably not many of those around.

To me it really is based on the collectibility of your car as a stock vehicle verses a modified vehicle.

for my 69 conv, I pulled the engine and crated it for sometime in the future maybe if I or someone else wanted to restore the car to stock.

I should have added up front that I would not be doing the engine upgrade if I didn't have to address bad rings or valves.  At least two of my cylinders are flooded with oil.  Could be valve guides or rings, either way I have to tear into it.  Do I want to put it back stock?  No, I don't think so.

My car is a base V8 302 Sportsroof, standard interior,  non A/C car with the only option I can tell is the sports Appearance Group that added the sport side mirrors, hood scoop and AM radio.  The things that made my car interesting were the dealer installed AC which I have removed and the non-fold down dark red interior survived and was not switched to black.

I'm not losing sleep over this anymore.  Maybe over how much I'm spending but not about modifying the original block.  

Looking at my car with the hood down the only things people will see changed will be subtle:

• Removing script Mustang from the fenders
  • Added period correct 15" Magnum 500 with RWL radial tires instead of 14" whitewalls and hubcaps
  • Shaved antenna - I test myself and it is one of the last things I notice when I look at a classic car.
  • Adding the chin spoiler
  • 2 stage paint
  • lowered front and rear, car sits level

Interior differences will also be subtle

• No foil trim around gauges
  • TMI Console
  • Hurst shifter and plain white shifter knob
  • 3 point seatbelts instead of the separate shoulder belts
  • Speakers in the fresh air vent panels and package tray (Original AM radio in the dash, bluetooth amp inside the dash hooked to speakers)
  • TMI Sport upholstery and foam with extra bolster in the front seats (Still dark red)
  • Swap out the 16" steering wheel for a 14 or 15" wood rimmed wheel
  • Classic Auto Air install using the original heater controls
  • Maybe a tach on the steering column

Under hood and drivetrain changes

• Still a 69 Ford 302 block, not a Coyote or a 351W, Cleveland or FE engine. All new internals, aluminum heads, intake and 4 barrel carb
  • Plan to use original accessory brackets kept black with V-belts
  • Upgraded to 24" Radiator 428CJ replica (not-aluminum) and clutch fan
  • Aftermarket distributor but no MSD box
  • AC components including Sanden compressor but looking for a way to hide the compressor under a plate
  • T5 instead of C4 transmission
  • Ceramic shorty headers and dual exhaust
  • Upgrade differential with shorter gears and no more peg leg
  • 11" disc brakes up front

Will still have original style suspension and power steering, original style interior, factory paint color and other badging