capemustang

Trunk Lid Stuck Closed

Feeling stupid right now but hoping someone has a good suggestion. I was installed a new trunk latch (NOS) on my 1969 Convertible. It was working fine, until I adjusted it a hair more so that it would open a little better (the lid wouldn't open easily. Well, it is now stuck.  The trunk latch will turn and release (can hear and feel the lick), however, the trunk lid will not open. I have tried gently pushing either to the left or right with the key turned to see if I could release the lid from whatever was holding it. The lid unlocks but appears to be stuck on the latch mechanism. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

fold down rear seat?  If your avatar is your car (Convertible) can you go through the rear seat?

I had something like this happen to me a while back and I used the palm of my hand to push down on the lid quick (like a slap) and see if it would rebound off the rubber seal.

Hello, 

Thank you for your input.  It is a convertible so the seat does not fold down--the convertible top hydraulics are in the way and it is a rigid back. I did try as you suggested and it didn't work, although a very  good idea. I basically unscrewed the convertible top boot and then somehow slid into the trunk that way-worming my way in. It was a tight fit and I was stuck for half a minute. I was able to use the socket to unscrew the trunk lid screws.  Again, thank you for your suggestions. Take care

1 hour ago, capemustang said:

Hello, 

Thank you for your input.  It is a convertible so the seat does not fold down--the convertible top hydraulics are in the way and it is a rigid back. I did try as you suggested and it didn't work, although a very  good idea. I basically unscrewed the convertible top boot and then somehow slid into the trunk that way-worming my way in. It was a tight fit and I was stuck for half a minute. I was able to use the socket to unscrew the trunk lid screws.  Again, thank you for your suggestions. Take care

Did you figure out what was preventing it from opening? 

Yes. I had adjusted the latch a couple of millimeters to rhe right (passenger side) which was the wrong direction. I should have moved it to the left (driver side).  This caused the striker to get stuck on the latch mechanism and not allow the latch to fully open. After my contortions to get into the trunk, I was able to unscrew the latch and then reinstall it properly. For a moment, I was stuck. I might be feeling it tomorrow! 

8 hours ago, capemustang said:

Yes. I had adjusted the latch a couple of millimeters to rhe right (passenger side) which was the wrong direction. I should have moved it to the left (driver side).  This caused the striker to get stuck on the latch mechanism and not allow the latch to fully open. After my contortions to get into the trunk, I was able to unscrew the latch and then reinstall it properly. For a moment, I was stuck. I might be feeling it tomorrow! 

Yikes!  I have a convertible as well.  I have no idea how I would fit through those little openings behind the seat!  Maybe if I remove the motor....

Glad you got it!