smh00n

Modern Driveline cable clutch kit - issues

Brains trust

I finally started to install the Modern Driveline cable clutch kit I bought 6 years ago.

All is good until I installed it, and the clevis on top of the pedal as pictured below, is hitting on the bottom of the cowl, so the pedal will not travel all the way tot he floor.

image.png.45a27b717dc3f3dd18600472893ccff7.png

I have the MD clutch pedal as well, so there was no cutting needed (these pictures are from the assembly instructions).

IMG_5270.thumb.JPG.79cb452b3222b2b9b7d7a4f3d07ad424.JPG

This picture hopefully shows the interference of the clevis.

Has anyone got experience of this and how did you fix it? I don't really want to be banging dents into the cowl.

I have now spoken to MDL and they couldn't have been more helpful.

But, I need some expert advice on if the lower cowl is original or repop. 

These are poor pictures, but this one is the underside of the cowl looking up from the floor. It is flat all the way along the indent

The small mark right below 8" is where the pedal is hitting.

IMG_5295.thumb.JPG.d8a3866aab77956d5d79503848d7af9e.JPG

This is a shot of the LH side where it joins the pillar area. I suspect it's not factory due to the big gap and ugly sealer.

IMG_5296.thumb.JPG.47f0f05eb9c2cd3cd206e9ad35bbff88.JPG

Does this look like it has been replaced at some stage?

The issue was even though I had bought an MDL pedal, they don't modify them. I assumed it was good to go.

It needed cutting at the yellow line in the first picture. And now the whole interwebs knows I'm a twit :)

Good news is it is in and functions well.

Welp, seems to me, if all that stuff was bought from MDL, why would it be your job to cut their pedal to fit? Wtfresno am I missing? Their pedal, their kit, but you gotta modify a pedal sent from them? 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Welp, seems to me, if all that stuff was bought from MDL, why would it be your job to cut their pedal to fit? Wtfresno am I missing? Their pedal, their kit, but you gotta modify a pedal sent from them? 

Exactly what I thought. Saw the instructions, noted it needed cutting but thought well I got their kit I just gotta bolt it together.

Thing is they sell the pedal as an upgrade to factory as it has a slotted bolt instead of the stud welded to the pedal. It's not just sold as a cable kit conversion. I see their point on both accounts, but they could chop some up and supply them with the cable kit.

On a positive side, they are refreshing the instructions this year and have agreed with my suggestion to make it more obvious that all pedals need to be cut, regardless of supplier.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Or... they could leave the instructions as be, and do the work to the pedal so it works as it f**king should. 

its one of my gripes about MDL, they should redesign, or use other resources like malwood as an upgrade, or how you put it, cut the damn thing for you.

I bought a T5Z from them along with a hydraulic clutch setup, but after seeing the clearance issues with the power cylinder and the brake booster, decided to go with the Malwood setup.  I am about halfway installed with everything, but I agree, a different system can be problematic.