Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

What to install above headliner?

I'm going to pull out my original headliner soon so any advice is welcome.  From the tear in it I think it has some sort of fiberglass insulation glued to the roof.  Looks like a mess with fibers falling out when I don't have the tear taped or clipped closed.

Should I remove that insulation and replace it or leave it?  I'll make sure to number my bows when I pull them out.  I have the new headliner in a box and will learn how to install it after my car is repainted.

I feel everyone will have different success stories. I started out trying to use the contact cement they sell as “headliner glue”. It dried hard as a rock and didn’t allow repositioning. I switched to 3M black weatherstripping glue and could reposition, even 2 weeks later. Being an amateur headliner installer, I couldn’t install in a day so it saved me. My method was get it tight/wrinkle free front/back, side to side and then do each corner. Mine turned out perfect but I was nearly 3 weeks doing it, readjusting to keep wrinkles out. Take pics of the screw holes before covering them up. I used big office clamps to hold mine, quick 1 hand operation. I used Dynamat and Dynaliner on the roof. I bought the tmi headliner which I thought was good quality. I also bought the tmi sail panels, disaster waiting to happen. Mine were flat, which pulled the clip from the backside when I bowed them in for the install. I ended up unsatisfied with the install and found ridgerunner on here that sells hand made fiberglass units that have the texture built in. They fit perfect and installed in 10 minutes. Also note which holes each bow comes out of. Mine had an upper and lower hole. C0F37B33-C1CB-4848-BA81-983163DA3A71.thumb.jpeg.4453e32b79f9887f373488cc2dccda66.jpeg

Thanks. Already have RidgeRunner sail panels too. 

what do people use for heat and noise insulation? Afraid of the Dynamat. It doesn’t sag?  Heard about lizard skin paint on. 
I guess you removed the fiber insulation.