Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Qtr Panel End Cap/Upper Extension Questions

Hey friends, regarding the qtr panel upper end caps, is there a rubber seal that goes in the joint of these like the one in the head light buckets?

IMG_5831.thumb.JPEG.e666e72f35b4006f9b16c5e294acee85.JPEG

Also, in fit up tonight I noticed how poorly these align. These are original to the car and I don't recall them being this way. I know Ford didn't put a lot of effort in body gaps and such but I can't leave it this way. Seems I read or say a video sometime back on using fishing line and body filler to clean up the look. I've looked and am not finding it. Anybody familiar with this?

IMG_5835.thumb.JPEG.b54f50b97fa0f12858193531bbcdb9ff.JPEGIMG_5836.thumb.JPEG.0a7cf24fc8c54671ca5f59b155006806.JPEG

They never fit very well ,i have bent them around to make them fit . They did have the rubber around the edging ,i usually leave it off but if for some reason the car is pushed from the end caps they can jump the edge of the quarter and chip the paint . Make sure to use the washers under the caps ,it allows the caps to tighten to the quarter so the dont float around . 

Also ,make sure the stud nuts bottom out as the cap is pulled tight ,if the stud is pulled to tight it will dimple the end cap ,that is what the washers stop ,may need more than one washer 

4 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

They never fit very well ,i have bent them around to make them fit . They did have the rubber around the edging ,i usually leave it off but if for some reason the car is pushed from the end caps they can jump the edge of the quarter and chip the paint . Make sure to use the washers under the caps ,it allows the caps to tighten to the quarter so the dont float around . 

Also ,make sure the stud nuts bottom out as the cap is pulled tight ,if the stud is pulled to tight it will dimple the end cap ,that is what the washers stop ,may need more than one washer 

So there’s a washer between the end cap and the quarter?

19 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

So there’s a washer between the end cap and the quarter?

Yes, if you look in my above posted pictures, you'll see it on the rear qtr. There are three per endcap, I left that particular one off, as my endcap was protruding outward and away from the panel. Seemed to fit better without it. I have some adjusting to do.  

8 minutes ago, Machspeed said:

Yes, if you look in my above posted pictures, you'll see it on the rear qtr. There are three per endcap, I left that particular one off, as my endcap was protruding outward and away from the panel. Seemed to fit better without it. I have some adjusting to do.  

Gently tap the hole down ,it has probably been tightened down at one time with out the washer pulling it outward