SWPruett

WANTED: Steering Column Trim Clips

Hello all!

I am looking for a pair of the steering column lower trim clips as shown.  Daniel Carpenter has evidently abandoned the effort to supply these with their new column trim even though they still show them in their product description on many sites.  Anyone out there have a set they are willing to let go of?  Please let me know and thanks in advance!

S. Pruett

collar-clips.JPG.1cad6e8ec9482c7cfb298a35c8c1b663.JPGCapture1.JPG.2c6d6ed67735ec97458579db913376ed.JPG

19 hours ago, smh00n said:

AMK might have them? I just realised my repop only came with one. Dammit

Tried AMK and they do not make them unfortunately.  I have ONE original and I pucker every time I think about removing it from the cracked column cover to move it to my new one.  So close!

On 12/28/2022 at 10:50 PM, Midlife said:

Have you checked with West Coast Cougar Classics?

Yessir.  That's where I got my latest repop steering column cover and we went round a bit over the lack of clips even though they still show them as included.

Probably not exactly what you want, but Kentucky Mustang has the Lower Steering Column Cover and the photo includes the two clips you need.  ($44.95)

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/interior/steering-column-related-parts/lower-steering-column-cover-w-tilt-1970-dynacorn.html

If you go that way, I would probably call them to make sure the clips come with the cover.

13 hours ago, kblagron said:

Probably not exactly what you want, but Kentucky Mustang has the Lower Steering Column Cover and the photo includes the two clips you need.  ($44.95)

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/interior/steering-column-related-parts/lower-steering-column-cover-w-tilt-1970-dynacorn.html

If you go that way, I would probably call them to make sure the clips come with the cover.

Thanks for the response!

LOL!  Unfortunately, that is the way this whole adventure started!  Daniel Carpenter was supplying these clips with their repro column trim and suddenly quit supplying them.  Problem is, several distributors (like Kentucky Mustang, WCCC, etc.) still show the exact same picture in their catalogs and/or online.

So basically, we’re all back to square 1 when trying to find these clips now.  Grrrrr…….

On 1/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, SWPruett said:

Thanks for the response!

LOL!  Unfortunately, that is the way this whole adventure started!  Daniel Carpenter was supplying these clips with their repro column trim and suddenly quit supplying them.  Problem is, several distributors (like Kentucky Mustang, WCCC, etc.) still show the exact same picture in their catalogs and/or online.

So basically, we’re all back to square 1 when trying to find these clips now.  Grrrrr…….

I am a bit away from the install on that, and when I purchased my car, it came in pieces - about 5 one gallon coffee cans of bolts/nuts/etc.  So I have the cover, but have no idea whether I have those clips.  Exactly what do those clips do?

Keep a sharp eye out for them as they are very small and easily missed!  Basically, these little clips keep the upper edge of the column cover from flopping around where it meets the steering column collar.  They clip to the under-dash structure and often get yanked off and lost during disassembly (ask me how I know)!

6 minutes ago, RPM said:

Did ya check with Daniel Carpenter to see where they sourced them when they were supplying them?

Not directly.  Worked through WCCC and the feedback from Daniel Carpenter was that “supply chain and manufacturing issues” made them unavailable and not ETA when/if they would ever be back in stock.

That said, my personal experience in contacting Daniel Carpenter directly has been…..underwhelming.

I finally purchased my steering column cover for my 1970 tilt column, and the cover included the clips.  I have attached a photo and a link, but it looks like I purchased the last one at Kentucky Mustang.  The label on it says Corvex.

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/lower-steering-column-cover-w-tilt-1970-dynacorn.html

Steering Column Cover Clips.jpg

10 hours ago, kblagron said:

I finally purchased my steering column cover for my 1970 tilt column, and the cover included the clips.  I have attached a photo and a link, but it looks like I purchased the last one at Kentucky Mustang.  The label on it says Corvex.

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/lower-steering-column-cover-w-tilt-1970-dynacorn.html

Steering Column Cover Clips.jpg

THIS is the most encouraging news on this I have seen yet!  THANK YOU!  Not sure I want to have to buy another column cover to get the clips quite yet, but at least you have helped identify a legit source!  Thanks!

I got it installed, and it fit very good.  I am still not sure on the purpose of the clips, but they are on there.  I read somewhere that they prevent squeaking noise from the cover touching the steering column.  I Guess I will have to believe that, but from what I can tell, you could probably leave them off and possibly not have an issue.

13 hours ago, aslanefe said:

I used adhesive backed closed cell foam (strategically placed) on one of my cars with broken clips to stop the rattle.

Yessir!  That will always be the Plan B and probably works a lot better than the clips anyway!