Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Sport Slats before or after paint?

I'm thinking of adding the chin spoiler and Sport Slats (Rear Louvers) on my car but not the rear spoiler.  Also might add a 70 grabber stripe.  Looks like a 69 Boss 302 without the writing.

I'm going with the NPD reproduction on the louvers.  Since I am having my car painted I was thinking it might be good to have them fitted before they paint the car.  I am having the rear glass taken out and reinstalled too so I don't know if that creates a problem later. 

It might be nice to save that $600 parts expense until later but then I would be drilling into a painted car.  And then I've had the car since 85 and haven't put them on yet.  Maybe I would not like driving with them after they are installed and then too late.

What would you do?

40 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'd fit and drill the holes before paint. I used the chin spoiler from NPD, which fit great and installed easily. 

There are two chin spoilers the cheap one in stock and the expensive on not in stock, $114 vs $362.  Is one 3x better than the other one?   

12 hours ago, RPM said:

I'd fit and drill the holes before paint. I used the chin spoiler from NPD, which fit great and installed easily. 

I second this. In addition I would fit the glass, trim& gasket before positioning & drilling, skip the sealer inside the gasket until the final install.

Have you been in a car with louvers? If not you might want to find someone that has them installed so that you may experience them and their quirks before drilling any holes. I had them on an 82 GT & my 69 Mach1, will not be going back on the Mach1 after paint. In both cases the rattles drove me crazy. Als a pain the rear to  clean the glass. But they look great. :-)

Interesting responses. I agree it looks great and I would do it before painting. The squeaks and rattles probably would annoy me, but man that car looks good with the slats, and its the only car that does. Since mine didn't come with the added rear wing, they just won't look good to me. The chin spoiler is a must! One thing that car needs is a good backup camera. I put one on my C5 and it helped immensely.

9 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Interesting responses. I agree it looks great and I would do it before painting. The squeaks and rattles probably would annoy me, but man that car looks good with the slats, and its the only car that does. Since mine didn't come with the added rear wing, they just won't look good to me. The chin spoiler is a must! One thing that car needs is a good backup camera. I put one on my C5 and it helped immensely.

Yep, I agree.  The rear visibility is so poor I added a rear camera on the license plate frame. It works pretty well but mine doesn't have enough side view to see all the way to the outer edges. Better than nuttin though. 

My first 69 Mach 1 had louvers ,rear spoiler and front chin spoiler  . When i bought it back in the early eighties the guy had them new still in the ford boxes ,he said they came in the trunk when he bought the car new . I put them on the car my self ,never really had much trouble wit the rear view but it seems they squeaked against rear glass and i think i put some one sided sticky foam on the bottom to stop it . ,it was just a small piece .

Mine being  meadowlark yellow with black out hood and shaker i thought it really looked great !

Thanks for all the replies. I did not realize the squeaky noises were a problem. Would probably drive me crazy. My rear valance squeaks on every bump now and I hate it. 

is it the gasket or frame against the glass or is it the structure of the louvers?

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Nagging wife or girl friend also helps drown all squeaks and rattles ...although the stress level is probably just as high as the squeak and rattle !

Huh, I've found that squeaks and high pitched noises come from the nagging wife or girlfriend. 

On 12/13/2022 at 11:24 AM, Ridge Runner said:

Nagging wife or girl friend also helps drown all squeaks and rattles ...although the stress level is probably just as high as the squeak and rattle !

That's how my car quieted down after they left.