Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

69 Door Hinges and Fenders

My body shop wants me to try and get a replacement front passenger fender for my car.  Which ones should I look for or avoid?  Last I checked NPD was backordered but I checked today and in stock!  https://www.npdlink.com/product/fender-front-rh/102205/204930

Hinges - same question.  Do I need both hinges or just a new pin and bushings?  The door does set in a rut when closing and does not close smoothly.  Do you also replace the mounting bolts?  - Hinges are Out of stock at NPD

Thanks

The Mustang Steve version requires welding. His method may be superior, but I'll never own the car long enough to destroy the hinges a second time. This video by Don at WCCC shows how to rebuild a Cougar or Mustang hinge. Don't buy new hinges, they are cheap knockoffs, rebuild the originals:

I am not a fan of hinge repair kits as the bushings that come with them are soft and wear out real quick. Also, if the holes where the bushings go in are worn out (oblong because the old bushings are disintegrated), putting new bushings is a waste of time. I enlarge the oblong holes to circles and make my own bushings from bearing bronze to fit to the new or non-damaged hole diameters. Either go with Mustang Steve kit or find someone who can turn you some bushings from bearing bronze like I do.

I want the shop to repair my fender but they are asking for a replacement.  I did find a dynacorn at CJPP (groan).

I found a fender locally but the back side support structure was rusted.  Mine is great except for the dent.  I guess they could splice my undamage section to the old original one with bad door end but they are expense even when in not perfect shape.

For the hinges I am going to buy the pins for both doors and see if they can be rebuilt first.  I'm only worried about one of the passenger hinges being bad.  If not rebuildable I will buy original used ones from WCCC.

Thanks!

Might want to give Paul a call at Mustang MD in Castaic CA. I'm pretty sure I saw several 69 fenders there last time I visited him. He doesn't like to ship parts to flaky unknown people, but told me he'd ship them for my friends. I'd use Henry fenders if available. 

His number is 818-367-0055.

The bushing are available for cheap at automotive supply houses, I keep a box in stock.

some pins can be reused, some get wear and need to be replaced.

i have rebuild many of these original hinges, they are easy

if need you can come over and I’ll help you with them

On 12/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, RPM said:

Might want to give Paul a call at Mustang MD in Castaic CA. I'm pretty sure I saw several 69 fenders there last time I visited him. He doesn't like to ship parts to flaky unknown people, but told me he'd ship them for my friends. I'd use Henry fenders if available. 

His number is 818-367-0055.

I dropped by the other day and he doesn't have any good 69 fenders.

I have a bout 3 buckets of hinges but they are 65 68 ,i thought i had a couple of sets for 69 70 ,i will keep looking . Hinges are simple to rebuild ,the kits have all you need to do so . I kind of hate the 68 -70 hinges as they are stamped steel ,65 66 are cast iron and was much better and stronger than 68 70 but as long and the holes are not wallered out just rebuild them .Rsanter is correct ,you can buy just the bushing at some part stores ,i used to get them at Nappa stores on those spinning racks  

7 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

.Rsanter is correct ,you can buy just the bushing at some part stores ,i used to get them at Nappa stores on those spinning racks  

Used to be able to find stuff not available on other chains at NAPA, but looks like they are changing too. Needed copper crush washers for brake hoses of a 66 and NAPA I go to told me they stopped selling stuff like bolts, nuts, washers. 

Local to me and odds are to you

there is a bolt/hardware supply place that has a bunch of the automotive bolts and such.

thats where I get them and I think they are a whopping .50 cents each

the pins they have are generic and longer than needed so you just cut them off a bit.

if the factory pins are still good I have been known to reuse them.

there is a Chevy bushing that is the same ID but a larger OD.

if the hinge is worn wallowed a bit but I want to save it (matches the car) I will put the hinge in my mill and open the hole a bit to use the larger bushing. If there is still a bit of the wallowed out left then I have been known to hit it with a welder or even fill a small amount of gap with some epoxy (you want the bushing fully supported)

So I talked the shop into rebuilding the hinges on both sides.  

I also had a member here contact me about a fender and we have struck a deal.  Bonus he is in Texas and I will go pick it up over the holidays.

I love this place because I have several hard to get parts that came from members including a rear quarter extension, a power steering hose bracket and a headlight splash shield that I needed without buying the whole set.

I’ve got the fender and new pins and bushings came in a few days ago. Also have a new repop front valance. 

FAF53FDC-0156-4031-8981-5E9A0203410A.thumb.jpeg.1f558bb07f2f7cf1ece2ed40a786cfc6.jpeg

I bought a reproduction sport mirror for the side but it did not follow the same proportions as the original. I took it apart and used the original bell and the new base and put them together and it worked great. I don’t have a picture of my Frankenstein but I’ll take one. This shows the twisted base  

E88AB040-6425-4E74-801E-BAE6A2277BC7.thumb.jpeg.734588f85c72b936857b857e2b2ae0fe.jpeg

10 minutes ago, jmlay said:

If the base is not cracked/broken you may be able to heat with a heat gun and carefully reform it. If that does not work you have not lost anything.

On a second look it is broken. Bummer!

I’m really happy with the reproduction base. The mirror housing bell is just off enough to bother me. Decent but not perfect. If anyone needs the top part I’ll make a deal. 

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

I’m really happy with the reproduction base. The mirror housing bell is just off enough to bother me. Decent but not perfect. If anyone needs the top part I’ll make a deal. 

Ed, I have an original mirror housing if that is what u need and it is even in your color. I will have to locate it but I think it is in good shape. 

3 hours ago, det0326 said:

Ed, I have an original mirror housing if that is what u need and it is even in your color. I will have to locate it but I think it is in good shape. 

No, thanks. I’m using the original top housing. It was the base/foot part that is broken. I mated the old housing with the new base.