shelbyshelby

Hood Black Out Stencil

Anybody used this before? I’m ready to black out my mach 1 hood and have the stencils in hand. Wondering if these stencils can be wet and adjust them until they dry or do they go on dry?
Also, the stencil came in 7 pieces. Is it still easier to use the stencil or use fine line tape? If you have experience with the stencils and have any advice, I’m all ears. 

I haven't used one yet, but recently saw a post by the owner of NPD on VMF that complained how the dimensions from other vendors for the graphics are all over the place. Apparently a license from Ford doesn't mean there is any quality control, its just a way for Ford to keep making money. Now that I know that, I would only buy from NPD.

BTW, the owner of National Parts Depot goes by 69bossnine and his name is Rick

I got my stencil from npd. It looks fine. It didn’t come with any instructions. Feels like I'm an amateur needing instructions for a sticker. Im debating using fine tape or the stencil. I think the stencil may be more accurate. I just don’t know if I can wet it with soap and water to apply and move around or not. Also if there’s do’s or don’t using them. Another curiosity is if the stencils have extra material, will overlaying the butt ends cause any issues. I will pm Rick from vmf if I can’t find the answers or bravery to commit to peeling the stencil. 

At the time I did my 69 I liked the 70 hood scheme better, now if doing it again I would do the 69 black out. I used a stencil to do the 70 strips and it worked well. I also buried the black strips in the clear, I know that is not OEM style but just my preference. To answer your question tho  I guess a stencil is a stencil and it worked great. No bleed under, I have had the tape to let paint bleed under it but probably because I am a rookie.

My 70 came with vinyl stripes on the hood in a shiny black finish. There were also some imperfections from the installation. I want to strip it off and paint on proper matt black stripes. Is there any good online videos to watch of the process using the stencils? Also, can a rattle can provide a high enough quality of paint to do this job, or would I need to take it to a professional shop to have it sprayed?

10 hours ago, copb8 said:

My 70 came with vinyl stripes on the hood in a shiny black finish. There were also some imperfections from the installation. I want to strip it off and paint on proper matt black stripes. Is there any good online videos to watch of the process using the stencils? Also, can a rattle can provide a high enough quality of paint to do this job, or would I need to take it to a professional shop to have it sprayed?

If u are lucky enough to remove the old decal without damaging the paint under it and your paint is 2 stage u can simply sand it with 600 or 800 all over lay out your stencil cover anything that needs protection from overspray and paint with black base coat remove stencil  and spray clear over the whole hood. Sand the ridges left by stencil and clear again. May have to do it again depending on how steep the ridges. When done the strips are buried and smooth as silk. If the paint flakes off while removing the decal then u will have to strip the whole hood.

Can you give more detail about the vinyl?  I was thinking that route might be a good one for a car that might go to a blackout hood and then back again later.  Would have to use matte black vinyl and bet a pro shop to install it to look right.  You'd have the raised edge but other than that it should look good.

Finished my hood details. Turned out ok. Couple things to watch out for. 1) the stencil adhesive stayed wet for like 3 hours in my 75 degree garage. I used a few drops of soap in my spray bottle. I wouldn’t use soap the next time. Id say the 3 hours is a good thing for lining up the 7 piece stencil. The gotcha is if you stretch it during lining up, you’ll come back after drying and a small gap in butt ends. Here’s a few pics. It’s plenty nice for me. Now I wish I could figure out how to keep the cables on the hood pins without damaging the new blackout when it gets roadworthy. If anyone wants to know, I used 2 coats of Sem 2k hot rod black. 

CBEE1CDF-5920-4573-A111-7133318174A0.jpeg

6EC80821-3725-4FDA-B146-E81107933311.jpeg

Thank you for the compliments fella’s. 
I’ve spent 12 years on it so far. My career has had me busy so I didn’t get to work on it as much as I wanted. But it’s almost done. Door panels and front end alignment is all I like. I used this sites search button to help me a lot thru the restoration. It’s been my dream since I was 5 years old. I never gave up.