Sign in to follow this  
whe42

windshield washer pump

I was replacing my windshield washer pump and was wondering if there was anything special that needed to be done to prevent leaks? Do I just insert it and put in retaining ring and I am done? Do I need to add grease or glue to prevent leaking?

Thanks

Thanks. How does the switch operate. I have a 2 speed switch and can turn on the wipers but no washer fluid. Do I push or pull the switch to turn on spray or is it something else? If it is a bad switch, how do I test the switch to see? Thanks

Push the knob in. First I would check 20A fuse #1. The key needs to be in the ON or Accy positions for power to get to fuse #1. Use an ohmmeter to check for continuity (wires removed) from where wires 950 white/black stripe and 951 green connect to the wiper switch.

image.png.ea1fba0c5b0dcfed08b57b1ab6a89a82.png

image.png.6b7a778a575f3b7a147b750b6853bae7.png

Thank you. So I tested the switch but wasn't sure if I am testing correctly. If I touch my ohm meter to what would plug into 63 or 763 and then touch the other end to 951 switch terminal then I should get a reading when I push in the switch correct? I'm touching all terminals on switch not the plug.  I get readings at the high and low wiper speeds  when I turn the switch but nothing at either washer terminal. So I am assuming the switch is bad but wanted to be sure as I am by no means an electrical expert.

2 hours ago, whe42 said:

Yes thanks I plan to do that but if the power does not come from the switch where is the power coming from? Is it connected to 951 or 950 elsewhere?

If I am remembering circuit diagrams correct, power to washer comes to switch through 950. And when you press the switch the circuit closes and power goes to washer pump through 951. Can’t see where the power to 950 comes from, may be fuse 1.

As I said in my previous post, power for the pump is coming from fuse #1. The first drawing is a schematic, not a wire diagram- follow the yellow, and disregard everything else, if you are only interested in the washer pump. The second drawing is a wire diagram. If you need this diagram, follow this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10FqYlsGT1XXr8B5TCF9WAASkU4vdPtuJ?usp=sharing

Schematics simplify the circuit so you can see how it works, while wire diagrams show all the plugs and wire colors and actual wire routing. 

image.thumb.png.0ee373141a3806cbe02af8e3e93f6068.png

image.png.e6cfc49d6bad5b426dedf17fe84cf735.png

those assumptions get people all the time with cars this old and numerous previous owners.

I need to go make a list of the mods I've made so when my kids are sorting it out after I've lost it they can figure it out.