Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Brake pedal height follow up

Hello all… 

sorry to be a pain but I need follow up thoughts on my issue.

the car is 70 Mach with manual drum brakes all around 

so last week I had a very reputable shop install a new master cylinder.

everything went well but when I picked the car up the brake pedal is about 3 inches higher than nornal

i Supplied the master and rod.   I am thinking it is either the wrong rod or the master rod is not seated in the master.

this would make sense because the rod is suppose to go into the master about an Inch

now the important questions

1. do you think I could just lose the master cy,under from the firewall and perhaps the rod would seat

the reason I took it to a brake shop is I don’t think I can get under dash to hookup the brake light switch

(age is getting up on me).

ant ideas how I could get the rod seatedwithout removing it from pedal

I paid good money to have this done.. but he is swamped with work and shows around the corner I fear.

I would like to put the car up for winter.

I know this is not a huge deal    But I can’t and won’t drive the car withe pedal so high

about 1.5 to 2 in head higher than the c,urchin pedal

I appreciate your ti e, thought and suggestions

Sam

First of all, quit apologizing, you have a beautiful original car that deserves attention. Can you post the details of the master cylinder you bought? Manufacturer, model number? It may not be correct. If it is correct, we can look into why it's such a bad fit. There is a fix here, and the folks on this forum can figure it out.

Hello 69 RAven,

thanks for taking time to respond.

i hAve checked and double checked the Master I had installed

itis AcDelco.    18 M1020…..and should fit manual drums all around.

for me this should be simple but I don’t think I can do the brake switch…hardto get under dash.

why did I go with deacons.  It was the most expensive rock auto had and I have used rock auto for years 

ipaid $400. To have the master installed and will have to pay again

thanks.  Sam

Hello,

I have a couple additional questions.

1. why do they sell master cylinders with no push rod if you can’t get old oushrod out..  my master included the rod

2. any thoughts of me trying to loosen the master to get the rod seated?

thanks.   Sam

237667C4-EBDF-4CBC-A4BF-F5E17AD242C4.jpeg

Just curious, was the push rod already attached to M/C when u received? My thoughts are if it wasn't they may have assembled it with push rod sitting on top of pushrod retainer ring. That could be reason for petal being higher.  

Det0326:

thanks for the thoughts

the rod was included with the master but not attached. I agree with your thinking.

do you think I can seat the rod by loosening the master from the firewall?

the whole difficulty in this job for me is the brake switch, that is why I was thinking maybe I could create some play by just 

loosening the master

thanks.  Sam

i am waiting for a new master but will have to pay $$$$ for install.  I should just try doing it again.

I did it about 10 years ago and the switch was hard for me.

I would rather replace a cam than that switch lololol

thanks again.. sam

15 hours ago, Print Dad said:

do you think I can seat the rod by loosening the master from the firewall?

No, don't think just loosening it will fix your issue.  Just reread your first post, didn't really catch the part that you stated 3 inches to high. I think that is going to be a push rod too long or wrong M/C, petal 3 inches to high is a lot.

Hello thanks for helping.

I should have explained better… if I loosened the master without disconnecting the rod from the pedal,,,.

do you think I could wiggle the rod and make it sit in the center of the master piston? 
I think your right ..the rod is not seated. The best solution would be remove the rod.. but I am trying to

avoid that

thanks… sam

I do understand what you are saying but 3 inches is a lot. I don't see how it could be out of seat that far and still function. I wish I could help you Print Dad but without knowing what the repair shop did to it, it would be hard to say what the problem is. I think u are going to have to do what you don't won't to do and take it apart. I'm old too and hard for me to get under the dash of these old classics but I have found that taking the drivers seat out makes it easier.

Well fixed perfect.

I had the shop install another master cylinder and rod,
the result is perfect pedal height great brakes.

so now she is home and probably will hibernate for winter.

the shop only charged about 1/3 oforiginal cost .

he thinks it was the wrong rod supplied with the master.

I will never really know.. but it is done.

I wanted to thank all the took time to offer ideas and help

thank..,sam

thanks