Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

new project 69 mach 1

We'll I got a new project, purchased a 1969 Mach 1. 

got alot of work to do, but priority is gotta replace the cowl/floor boards first and finally rear trunk brace/tail panel/qtr panel. car been through hell, but 90% of the car is there. will post pics of the progress. 

had a 351w w/ fmx, all drums, definitely needs alot of TLC, this will be a long project, but the goal is to slightly bring it back to its former glory and go with a original look. paint is super last thing on my mind, so may paint it primer or use a matte color. 

Original color was Silver Jade, San Jose car and was in LA most of its life.

IMG_8591.JPG

IMG_8590.JPG

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Nice score! I should've painted mine the original silver jade. Mine is also a San Jose build, with vin 133461, what's yours?

placed an order with NPD, the cowl hood, both front DR/PS floor pans/and toe board need replacement, a pillar on the passenger had weird rust with silicone (most likely someone tried to coat this with silicone as undercoating... which traps moisture (ironic). I used a borescope to look into the inner pillar saw nothing damaged or rust. 

area of concern right now, is the rear tail panel, looks like there was a minor accident which bent the tail panel and rear trunk brace slightly inward and passenger qtr had some work done but going to cut it open and replace but phase one is to replace and treat the front cowl and floor pans, I also looked under the front and rear frame rails look great and see no warpage or buckling, but going to take measurements using the dimensions I found here. 

I wanted to paint it Silver Jade, but google pics dont do it justice, so I between Iconic Silver, Magnetic Grey or Rapid Red. 

Question for those out there, is there a schematic on how to remove the rear flip seat and side panel trim? my coupe was so easy, assuming they are on tabs aswell. also, for these type of FBs, was there rear speakers or only in the front?  trying to save everything as much as I can but alot of the plastic has been baked and brittle so trying to remove this carefully. 

Interior panels are easy ,all bolts and screws ,nothing hidden ,except the panel above the trap door ,it has clips ,you will need to drill all the pop rivets holding the fiberglass panels around the trap door opening  with a 3/16 drill bit ,try not to wobble them out . The trap door bolts in 

Thank you, all, I started tearing the front part of the interior. Ill take pics of the progress.

So far I removed the following:

• Upper Dash (looks it was an AC on a non AC car)
  • Clock/Gauges/cluser removed, unfortunately, clusters are brittle the moment I touched it just snapped off. :( seems this car was out in the sun to long. 
  • Unplugged most of the wiring
  • Removed headliner/visors/ring

going to start tearing the lower/mid dash that bolted to the a pillars next weekend, however I want to remove the main harness from the firewall once I remove the lower dash, whats the best way to tackle that? is it simply a plug that clipped on or a rubber grommet? want to save as much as possible so I can send it to midlife for restoration later.

also see some surface rust in some areas, going to clean that and use ospho and spray it with a rust inhibitor.