Her69fastback

No crank sometimes

I replaced the starter, starter solenoid & the ignition switch. You turn the key & you don’t get anything. Then other times it will start. This car used to be  3speed car. I put a automatic in it . I left the stock pedals  in the car. Is there a switch I need to take out or something else I’m missing?  Thanks for the help

ep, as Mid says, its probably the neutral safety. Power comes from the battery, goes through the ignition switch, through the neutral safety and to the starter solenoid. If the solenoid doesn't even click, then it is either the ignition switch, the neutral safety, or the wire connections somewhere along the line.

This is a schematic, not a wire diagram:

image.thumb.png.9b49bb06a2c9356c845ae763d2a51498.png

Below is the exact circuit, but in wire diagram form. The schematic is intended to show how it works, and the wire diagram shows you how to wire the car. Most people find the schematic much easier to read.

image.thumb.png.8f8b61b1e3b1dfd1feab62f2d4aa6a59.png

I put a new neutral safety switch when I put in the transmission. I have tried moving the shifter. I even put it in gear & in neutral. With no change. I can get out & put it across the solenoid & it will start ever time. It doesn’t happen all the time. That’s what’s driving me crazy. 
thanks for the help

58 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

ep, as Mid says, its probably the neutral safety. Power comes from the battery, goes through the ignition switch, through the neutral safety and to the starter solenoid. If the solenoid doesn't even click, then it is either the ignition switch, the neutral safety, or the wire connections somewhere along the line.

This is a schematic, not a wire diagram:

image.thumb.png.9b49bb06a2c9356c845ae763d2a51498.png

Below is the exact circuit, but in wire diagram form. The schematic is intended to show how it works, and the wire diagram shows you how to wire the car. Most people find the schematic much easier to read.

image.thumb.png.8f8b61b1e3b1dfd1feab62f2d4aa6a59.png

Thank you

1 hour ago, Her69fastback said:

I ground down the paint behind the solenoid & bolted it using nut & bolt. Should I run a ground wire to the - side of the battery? Thanks for the help 

If u ground paint off behind it then thats probably not your problem as long as the ground between motor and chassis is good as stevewr54 mentioned. If all that is good then the next time it does it u will have to start trouble shooting using Terry's dia's above. The reason I mentioned the solenoid ground because when u jumped it u could have jarred it just enough to make connection until it happens again. U certainly could put a temporary ground there to eliminate that as being a problem . 

Read the voltage at all of the connections of the red/blue, with the ignition switch in start position. I would start in the middle a d work back toward the ignition switch until you find voltage. The problem will be between where you have voltage and where you do not. Could also start at the ignition switch and work toward the starter solinoid.