Print Dad

Brake pedal height

Hello all,,, once again I am looking for thoughts, opinions, ideas etc,

so here is the car specs… our 70 Mach 1 351c drum brakes all around. Man steering

today I picked up our car after having a new master cylinder installed by a very reputable shop.

the brakes are amazing but the pedal is a little too high for me.

I would say the pedal is about and inch and a half higher than what is was before.

I purchased the master with a new rod no adjustment onthe rod.

so whAt should I do… get used to new pedal height or is there a way to adjust it?
I don’t think there is an adjustment unless it was on the pedal to mater rod which there isn’t.

I appreciate you thoughts and opinions

thanks.   Sam.  

66453EC8-F2EE-49FE-97DC-8880A1E19B36.jpeg

From what I've read, swapping brake parts around can lead to just this kind of incompatibility problem. Many knowledgeable people prefer to only rebuild the original master cylinder- Booster Dewey (now Booster Steve) being one of the two shops I've heard of that can do so. There is so much misinformation about what replacement booster will fit and operate properly, that you really should watch the two videos that follow. Perhaps you can get the original back, or if not maybe you can purchase one that has already been rebuilt. 

I hear you, it is not easy to remember/keep track of everything when you had the car a long time. As far as I know, there is no adjustment at the brake pedal. May be the push rod of the old master was a little shorter which would have put the pedal lower.

Those push rods come in many lengths. I had several, but none the length I wanted. So I made an adjustable push rod, and put it at the location I wanted. 

Some master cylinders clip onto the push rod so it won't fall out, some don't. While I've never experienced it, the ww web says an unsecured push rod can fall out of the brake pedal is pulled towards the driver fully. Mine won't. But checking for this is not a bad idea. 

Seems to me that the push rod is not seated correct or it is the wrong master and the rod is too long.

as a point of info..l the brake pedal is now about 2 inches higher than the clutch pedal

this is unacceptable..gonna talk to the shop on Monday.   Maybe I need a different master and rod