Sign in to follow this  
Ivo

Mustang 69 died on the road

Hello,

two days ago after taking my Mach 1 (351w with FMX) for autumn drive, when driving on a sloped road, the car cough couple times and the engine died. I thought I ran out of gas (the gauge is not working) as I was on sloped road, so I poured 5 gallons from my gas canister and tried to start. It wouldn't. So I checked the fuel line at the carb, it had pressure. After another few attempts to start, the battery died. I took another one (luckily my garage was close), it started but it was running horrible (max on 3-4 cylinders, the whole engine was shaking) and it backfired from the carb (blue smoke). I thought that I flooded the engine. I took the sparks out (4 months old), they were fouled and with oil on the threads. I cleaned them, put them back in, it didn't improve. I took the distributor cap off and saw that the new rotor, I installed couple weeks ago was scratched on the top. I'm thinking the distributor jumped and messed my timing. If I rev it a little it smoothens, but the idle is horrible.

I ordered new distributor (Progression Ignition), new coil (MSD Blaster 3), new spark plug wires, new harmonic balancer (the old needed changing) and new Carb (Edelbrock AVS2 650cfm). I'm living in Europe, so they will arrive in a month.

As I'm relatively new to old cars and restoration, can I be missing something?

The car is completely stock with original parts as far as I know.
Thanks!

It's possible the roll pin for the distributor drive pin sheared and that would cause that problem. I would try the distributor first, before changing all the other items to verify that's the problem. Another possibility is the timing chain gears/chain may have jumped a few teeth. I would verify TDC on #1 cylinder compression stroke, remove dist. cap and see if rotor is pointing to #1 contact.

yes, the roll pin may have sheared off. I had this happen to me before, I was able to limp it home as it will misfire/stumble, I was nervous the metal pieces would mess up the engine, luckily it do not as it broke into two and didnt fall into the oil gallery or pump. 

I wouldn't drive the car or turn it on just yet, take off the distributor to inspect it and use a magnetic pick up for metal debris in the oil pump shaft/gallery, also I recommend testing each spark plug and plug wire to isolate if its a spark issue. 

Timing chain is also another possibility, but rare, unless that timing chain hasn't been changed in over a 100k miles as they will stretch overtime. 

Check the distributer/sparkplug/wire first. I would also check your coil or any wiring related to ignition that may be damaged or worn. 

1 hour ago, Boss429Dreamer said:

It's possible the roll pin for the distributor drive pin sheared and that would cause that problem. I would try the distributor first, before changing all the other items to verify that's the problem. Another possibility is the timing chain gears/chain may have jumped a few teeth. I would verify TDC on #1 cylinder compression stroke, remove dist. cap and see if rotor is pointing to #1 contact.

Thanks! On the weekend I'll find TDC and check the dist rotor. I'll check the spark plugs aswell

I'll report back.

Keep in mind that most parts today are crap. The best part is a known good used part. A year ago I made a 4,400 loop across the mid west, up to Wisconsin and back to Cali. I had three less than 6 months old parts fail, the starter, coil, and condenser. Good thing I carry spares. 

Today I checked the distributor, the gear is ok. Checked the coil, solid 12v. Made a new 12v positive wire from the coil to the distributor, the old one was cracked and barely hanging. Now I'm suspecting the carb, as it's the original Autolite 4300 and it is in very bad shape. Tried to tune the mixture screws, but no cigar.

Ideas?

I'm attaching two videos one with the dist gear, one with the engine running.

I had your exact symptoms driving across the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien Wisconsin. Turned out to be a less that 6 month old coil. Carrying spare parts pays off.