Sign in to follow this  
Mach1 Driver

Carb pad height

Does anyone happen to know the height for a stock 69 351w 4V intake manifold? I have a 2V now, but it would help knowing what fits for future considerations like EFI or even various manifolds for carbs.

The parts numbers are: C90E-9425-B, C90E-9425-D, or C90E-9425-E

Thanks

image.png.50440e5e39a38a204dbd3ba7dbe502b3.png

31 minutes ago, stangs-R-me said:

I would think the stock Ford 2V & 4V 351W intakes would be the same height since you could get a Shaker on either one ... and as far as I know, there is only one 351W Shaker assy.

Doug

Yes thanks, I was thinking the same thing

6 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

With my car I had an Edelbrock Performer RPM. This put the shaker in direct contact with the hood. After researcing intakes I found their Torker manifold to be the stock height. This cured the clearance issue.

FYI, the Edelbrock Torker II #5081 has a pad height of 4.150, which is 1.015" higher than stock. No web hits on just a "Torker".

Edelbrock has given me multiple numbers which were ALL erroneous for the stock carb pad height. Since we now know that the stock height is 3.0" (thanks to 69Mach1 M code), its easy to make a round chunk of plywood of the proper thickness and stick it on top of your air cleaner and see how close it gets to the hood before investing in a new intake that may not fit. If you've got a shaker, you can make a plywood spacer and stick it under the carb to check the height. 

7 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

From Edelbrocks website.

Manifold height: A-3.55", B-4.75", same as stock; Carb pad height: 4.15";

My shaker fits nicely in the opening not too high. If the 3" spec was correct my shaker would be lower

What part number manifold is that for?

I don't have a shaker, but my completely stock 351w 2V manifold has a 1" spacer under the carb (actually 1.025"). Are you accounting for that? The manifold is 3", the spacer is 1", the carb is 3.25", and whatever room is left is for the air cleaner under the hood or shaker assembly that goes through the hood. I can't argue what the shaker does- I just don't know. My effort was to see what manifold would fit under the hood for a 4v carb or EFI without modifying the hood, engine mounts, etc.

69Mach1 M code has stated the carb pad height for a stock 4v manifold is 3.0", and unless someone can show me other front and rear numbers for a stock manifold, I'm going with that. I don't believe what Edelbrock is saying because the numbers change depending on who you talk to. They don't seem to really know what the stock manifold height is, and without that you have no basis for comparison.

Edit: Here is an example of more double talk from Edelbrock- I received this email from their tech department only moments ago:

Hello Terry, our Website changed so we are now able to Sell Consumer Direct and our Merger with the Comp Cams Group, we are not The Edelbrock Group, our Performer Intake Manifold # 2181 for your application is the same height as Factory OE 4-bbl Intake Manifolds, and it is 4.07” Tall, The PRM Intake Manifold # 7181 is 4.80” tall so right at 3/4" Taller, hope this helps you.

Don't know if this will help or not Terry and remember I'm old and going on memory here. In my 69 everything on the front of the chassis  anyway was completely stock. I had the Edelbrock RPM performer, no carb spacer, the FiTech and a 2 inch thick aftermarket air filter. I used clay on top of filter housing and shut the hood, I had about .9 thousand of an inch clearance.

4 hours ago, det0326 said:

Don't know if this will help or not Terry and remember I'm old and going on memory here. In my 69 everything on the front of the chassis  anyway was completely stock. I had the Edelbrock RPM performer, no carb spacer, the FiTech and a 2 inch thick aftermarket air filter. I used clay on top of filter housing and shut the hood, I had about .9 thousand of an inch clearance.

Thanks Dave, do you remember if the air cleaner had a drop base?

I measured the Weiand 8023WND intake on the engine and the results are 6 inches in the back and 4-1/2 inches in the front; Carb pad height = 5.25 inches.

I double checked the measurements I posted above for the original cast iron intake and stand by them. The p/n is C90E-9425-E with a casting date of 9E15. I purchased the car in the mid-80's from the original owner. 

The scene where Ken Miles was hammering on the boot to provide clearance for the mandatory spare tire is flashing through my head now ................ 

Resurrecting this post to help draw a conclusion before dropping the engine back in. As I mentioned above, the Weiand manifold I purchased during the parts scarcity era a wile back may be cutting it close with my non-shaker hood setup. Has anyone else used the Weiand 8023WND with no shaker? What spacer / air cleaner / carb combination did you use?

For those that used a different aluminum intake and haven't commented previously, what combination did you use? 

On 3/3/2023 at 12:07 PM, 69Mach1 M code said:

Resurrecting this post to help draw a conclusion before dropping the engine back in. As I mentioned above, the Weiand manifold I purchased during the parts scarcity era a wile back may be cutting it close with my non-shaker hood setup. Has anyone else used the Weiand 8023WND with no shaker? What spacer / air cleaner / carb combination did you use?

For those that used a different aluminum intake and haven't commented previously, what combination did you use? 

Recap, I have a bone stock 351w that is a 2v. Curiosity got the better of me so I finally pulled my carb and distributor to measure my intake manifold on the car. As stangs-R-me speculated, the 2V is the same height as the 4V, or 3.00". Using playdoh on the stock air cleaner in four positions, it is 2.016" to the hood at the closest position. This is with the 1.025" high aluminum spacer that the PCV connects to.

The Weiand is 4.715 tall so even with a 1" spacer and stock air cleaner my math says it should clear the hood by 0.300. Double check please.

Edit: If you have a Mach1 hood scoop (not shaker), the three bolts on each side need shortening to the nut. The following numbers are with the 1" PCV spacer. The front and rear bolts appear to be outboard of the raised ring on the filter lid where the air filter contacts. However, the center nuts are in the way. You could remove them entirely or maybe shorten the height of the nuts. It is difficult to get a good number with playdoh but I calculate clearance to the nut at 0.243 to 0.055 using the Weiand Stealth manifold.  With the Edelbrock 7181 it is even worse with clearance to the nut of 0.158 or actual interference of 0.030. The Edelbrock 2181 Performer would have at least 0.700 clearance to the nut.

I attended the Charlotte AutoFair a couple of weeks back and came across a used Edelbrock RPM Performer 2181 with the following measurements:

Rear height = 4-7/8 inches (4.875) and Front height = 3-5/8 inches (3.625). It was not in the best condition with several stripped threads so I passed.

Thanks for all of your detailed work, Mach1 Driver. Using the Weiand looks more promising now than it did in the beginning. I've got a ways to go before I drop the motor back in so I won't be able to confirm the actual clearances for a while.

10 hours ago, 69Mach1 M code said:

Rear height = 4-7/8 inches (4.875) and Front height = 3-5/8 inches (3.625). It was not in the best condition with several stripped threads so I passed.

FYI Edelbrock lists the 2181Performer as having a pad height of 4.07"