69Mach1 M code

Foot well vent panel

Does anyone know of a source for just the foot well vent panels? They list them as "side panel, cowl, inner". What you get is the panel that the vent assembly mounts to (what I need) as well as the vertical panel that is positioned adjacent to it. 

The steel is all good in my car except for the six-sided flange around the vent opening. I could fabricate it but considering the time and welding required I figured I'd buy the panel. Current price per side is $142. Yikes!

Side vent panel.PNG

Are you needing the vent panel or the small vertical piece that comes with it? I have the vertical piece I didn’t use with mine. I actually have the whole panel minus the recessed vent section. I cut it out and grafted it into my original. 

No pictures, but I also replaced about 1/4 of the endge around the vent that were fully rotted with a vice-and-hammer crafted plate. The part was on backorder from the manufacturer at the swedish supplier for over a year. Wasn't too keen on shipping a piece. The vent had holes around some of the sqrew holes too. I removed the rust with some acid, and then epoxy glued the holes. Not the best looking result, but you'll never see it anyway. Would have been easier and prettier with the panel though.

12 hours ago, 69Mach1 M code said:

Wow, nice work, Latoracing. Looks like it even has the inner lip on the I.D. in place.

I've got a similar situation as Casgar where I'll have to repair about 1/3 of the flange and POR15 the balance of it.

If you need something, I'm right up the road. 

44 minutes ago, Mach1 Driver said:

Wow! Did you build a die for those? It looks like I can see a little stretch ripple on that right sheet. Outstanding job, I'd be interested in seeing your process.

Just a quickie very low production stamp, there is a lot of wrinkles and waves along the outside. The shape and a little around the edge was the goal.  My shop press (20 ton) is useful for the majority of patch panel parts and they surprisingly do fairly well. Having mirrored parts usually requires me to have crude setups, but majority of parts are stamped using laser cut pieces of plate and sharpie marks for alignment. The vent repair part was done by hand, but I have an idea on how to stamp it :)

Thanks to latoracing for providing me with some pointers on how to form the flanges. 

Below are some photos of the driver's vent that I've been working on. I need about 3/4 of the circumference on this vent and a little less on the passenger side. I decided to go a slightly different route and form the needed flange out of two pieces to see if I could avoid fabricating forms. I used primarily a bench vice, two pliers (one positioned on each side of the bend radius), a hammer, and some scrap pieces of metal to help form a sharper bend radius. Oh, and some cardboard to make a template (only a DiGiorno pepperoni and cheese box will work here).

The final photo is of the two fabricated flanges held in place only with some welding magnets, so they're not completely flat.

IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.8f75f478a9142b9ad0f1378d5036b8b4.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

I too had the same problem on my sons car. We fabricated a patch as I considered replacing the whole panel but the complexity of it interfacing with surrounding panels and rockers led me to my choice. However you must have side cowls removed to repair like this. Also make sure to put sealant on screw holes as they will leak when water runs down the cowls. 

BAA9B64D-0F3D-46B0-A6BC-5B3F1C41735F.jpeg

D3B4929C-B899-4EED-B5EF-30EC6AC2BAEC.jpeg