Tdicarlo

Automatic shifter swap to Hurst quarter stick

Hey all- I have a 69 Mustang fastback and would like to swap out the existing automatic shifter to a Hurst quarter shifter. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished?  Does Hurst make a shifter to accommodate this swap? Can someone please direct me?  Many thanks!! 

Check the drill bit size for the threads of the larger bolt. Then check the new alternator's threads to see if you've got enough material to tap for the old bolt. 

I put a Hurst Quarter Stick shift in a 1970 Mustang I had years ago.  First thing you do is remove the stock shifter and linkage.  You'll have to fabricate a metal plate to block off the hole where the stock shifter goes.  Then you locate where you want to mount the Hurst shifter on the transmission tunnel. Then you have to drill holes for the mounting screws for the shifter.  Then you have to make a hole for the shift cable.  You should be able to run the cable through the block off plate you fabricated.  Then you have to route your shifter cable.  The stock cable I had was way too long and I had a custom shift cable made.  Then you have to hook the cable up to the transmission.  You need to make sure you have a the correct shifter for your transmission.  In other words, make sure you don't have a reverse pattern shifter with a standard pattern valve body transmission or vice versa.