sizemoremk

Looking for guidance 69 Coupe brake upgrade options

Hello all, we have a 69 coupe we've been working on for the Mrs and I'm ready to completely redo the braking system before she puts it back on the road.

Its a moderate 302 build with the Holley sniper EFI, aftermarket AFR heads, moderate cam, longtube headers, 3.55s with AOD transmission. 

The car will be a (nice weather) driver for the wife and we will not be doing any racing but I do want really good brakes.

The car came to us with bastardized granada setup (the seller said they were granada spindles/calipers) where they had put adjustable  proportion vales on both left and right fronts?!?! 

I got rid of those and replaced the master and such some time back but the brakes have always sucked.

I have no idea if I have the most appropriate booster/master/pedal and/or combination valve for this setup,. I don't trust anything about the brake setup or its age.

I am going to replace all of it no mater what but I'm curious if this granada based setup could be sufficient, or if I should really look at some aftermarket setups from SOT or wilwood, etc???  I do like the idea of the rear disc but not sure if those upgrades are more trouble than they are worth in our case?

We do prefer to keep the 15" mag wheels we have now....

So I guess I'd like opinions on whether the granada brakes can be made to work well, and if so, what master/booster/combo valve/brake pedal option would I be looking for?  As mentioned I'm not sure if what it has now is anywhere near correct.  I like the idea of a full package deal with all the parts matched, so any recommendations on a source for those components would be appreciated!

For those that believe the granada setup is not the way to go, please suggest an aftermarket option that would fit the 15" wheels.

Thanks!

This will be an unpopular opinion- they raced these cars with front discs and rear drums, and the stock brakes were good enough for that. Friction materials have improved in the 50+ years. For the street, barnett468 recommends EBC green pads and shoes, Zray uses EBC Redstuff 3000 Series Sport Brake Pads, and says that the popular Porterfield pads are inconsistent from batch to batch.

The advantage of going stock is that you don't have to guess how to set it up as its all in the Ford shop manual, the parts are readily available and the part numbers are known. Why reinvent the wheel when something works? Yes you can get aftermarket brakes with gigantic pistons and air cooled slotted rotors, but chances are you're going to be messing around with the system to get it right, and you won't be driving it. In my opinion, unless you're married to Shirley Muldowney, the stock brakes will be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Depends on your goals, but if you have the cash, go with SOT or Wilwood. Manual brakes should be fine.

if you want power assist, a midland or Bendix model would be my go to, aftermarket versions are available, but its a hit or miss with quality. you can get them at autozone/oreilly's. Also, the brake pedal will need to be changed.

A lot of people, present company included, based their less than stellar car's performance on worn out parts. Mach1 Driver is correct.  With proper functioning stock components, your brakes should do a good job. Anytime you change from stock, you're opening a can of worms that will bring in a few extra parts that will need modded. 

A guy in the Mustang world who really knows stock brakes, and steering, is Dan @ Chockostang.com.  He can be believed and trusted. 

The granada setup has been a popular swap for many years and works great when set up correctly, it sounds like your's wasn't even close. As others have mentioned above there are several avenues to go, just make sure components match, correct brake pedal, master cylinder, etc.

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'll stick with the granada setup and replace the calipers, MC and booster.  I redid the rubber lines a few years ago as well as the hard lines with that copper/nickel stuff several years back, as well as installed a combination/proportioning valve from a granada (previously missing).  

I have checked the combination valve, and it is not "tripped" but I am curious if those "centering tools" for the common GM type valves will work on the ford combo valve?  I'm not sure how much of a pain it is to un-tripp it if it gets stuck on one side r the other.

As for new booster and master:

It appears that booster steve/ booster dewey have been sold and it doesn't quite sound like there isn't much information available on current booster rebuilders right now; so I am thinking I might shelf my old bendix booster core and try the "tuff stuff" 2225NB unit.  I seen a few threads where a couple of guys have had success using that one. 

Tuff Stuff Booster:

Brake Booster #2225NB - TUFF STUFF Performance Accessories

Tuff Stuff Booster with Master (1" bore):

Master Cylinder And Booster #2125NB-3 - TUFF STUFF Performance Accessories

Tuff Stuff website says both are US made parts...  I have lost faith in most things found at the local parts stores...Does anyone have good reason not to go with either of the tough stuff parts? There products in general seem to get good reviews at summit.

I can't find much info about the sources or quality of these master cylinders I see listed from various vendors or parts store; I seen a couple mentions of the Raybestos MC36251 but I don't see anything to make the think this unit is any better than the cheap junk at the local parts store.

Calipers:
Any thoughts on sources for calipers?  The NUGEON units listed at Rock Auto claim to be remanufactured in USA...  Mine are pretty old and rusty, so for the effort of sandblasting, painting, and rebuilding, might as well and replace them.

As for the pads, I can't seem to find any EBC pads for the granada calipers.  Porterfield's seem available a few places and all the reviews I see except for that one fella, seems to think those pads are pretty good.  So anyone else have reservations on the porterfields?  Hawk better?

Did you install a used Granada prop valve? If so, there is a high chance that it is frozen inside and will never tripp. You may want to open it up and rebuild it if needed.

I would do more research on master cylinder size, I think 1" is small for a booster which will give you a low pedal when pressed. I would find out what size master was used on Granada with booster and use that size.

I replaced parts store pads with Porterfield pads on one of my 70 Mustangs. It makes a grinding noise if you brake very lightly, also a lot more brake dust. Have not noticed any difference in braking performance during daily driving.