Sign in to follow this  
Hux

Difference between Tail Light panels, 69 &70

Besides the obvious about the tail lights before we go any further.

Reason for query, when I disassembled by 70  FB I found I definitely had a 69 left hand rear quarter extension, as it was the fibreglass version, the opposite side was cast metal and I made the assumption it was a 70.

I bought an ACP left hand quarter extension which really is rubbish as the top left hand corner did not even remotely fit the line of the quarter panel and ended up doing an extensive fibreglass filler shaping to get it up to match the body line.

Moving forward and I fit both extensions and the damn right hand one fits perfectly against the quarter panel but sits about 1/2” out from the tail light panel side and when I put the old tail light bezels in, the left hand side has a nice tight fit whilst the right hand has a largish gap between the bezel and extension.

Full disclosure - I have replaced the tail light panel and the right hand quarter extension panel section.  I will try and add a photo shortly.

Ohh and the right hand one is a D0ZB part number.  To the eye I cannot see any difference and when I measure the rear panel I cannot see any difference nor any bowing in it to counter for the mismatch.

I think this is pretty much self explanatory.

I dont really want to but another uarter extension without having a clue about which is right and which is wrong…all I can see from pics of 70’s is that the left hand side looks correct.

B3D8AA44-1122-4A9F-94B5-D45E38D2C723.jpeg

FAA82E31-D1EE-4BE0-A6DF-E3E59065DF76.jpeg

7B280A99-A60D-4B33-8969-59F05B6911D9.jpeg

8E131734-F0AA-4E88-80B3-82F74818EED2.jpeg

5E169E19-D79B-41D5-8E08-931B7A7ED6AD.jpeg

C20FE144-B998-4976-B705-450C58ABABD6.jpeg

52DE5DEF-093C-463A-9ECC-7504C2F47C20.jpeg

BB85FCEF-0AE9-4FFC-B08A-73C916321F63.jpeg

The tail light panel is defiantly different in the area where lights mount and the filler tube for the gas tank. I thought all the quarter extensions even the fiberglass ones where the same, granted they all don't fit the same tho. I think the assembly factories fitted these things individually.    

FWIW; my 69 quarter extensions are fiberglass and are C9ZB-11-C and 10 C.  The 69-taillight panel is definitely curved top to bottom.  Fitment on exterior tops and sides is quite good.  With the trunk lid open gaps are obvious on both sides and in different locations.  I think the outward appearance was/is more important than the symmetry.  Brian

So any thoughts on what I can do….I will spend some time contemplating it but would appreciate anyones thoughts as whether its the cast extension or the pressed metal extension.

I will measure up the two extensions and see how different they are, and also put on the bumper and see whether there is any alignment issues.

Your complaint is that the right extension sticks out about 1/2" from the panel, and your picture seems to show that the right extension is deeper.

I opened up the trunk of my 69 and measured about 3/16" down from the top , my left is 3.815" and the right is 3.782" deep. 

image.thumb.png.f4f7663b3cc5eeea280c5ebe6dc4b6e8.png

The metal ones can be shaped some by applying a little heat in the right places but u have to be careful because the pot metal will melt rather quickly. Some places u will need body filler. They can be made to fit rather nicely but it takes time and a lot of patience. I have never had any fiberglass ones but I would imagine the only thing u could do is add or remove fiberglass where u need to.

13 hours ago, det0326 said:

The metal ones can be shaped some by applying a little heat in the right places but u have to be careful because the pot metal will melt rather quickly. Some places u will need body filler. They can be made to fit rather nicely but it takes time and a lot of patience. I have never had any fiberglass ones but I would imagine the only thing u could do is add or remove fiberglass where u need to.

Thanks.  I might tighten it onto the panel and use a propane torch to gently get some heat into it and see if it will move a little in.    First every resto on this scale and its been a learning experience

12 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

The tail panel appears to be pushed in slightly on passenger side ,if there was damage in this area the filler between the quarter and tail panel may be pushed in ,a block of wood inside and a smack with a hammer should bump it back out 

Thanks I will put an edge on and check…tail light panel is new and appeared UN damaged but will check and make sure its all square and flat.

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Its probably not the tail light panel but the piece between the panel and the quarter end 

Damn repop parts - I guess it may be the case of having to cut and spread the extension section to bring the lines out….more bloody work - blahhhh.

Never again…..find a perfect body and strip it and do it, having to fix all of the rust with repop has been a test of my limited patience.