Sign in to follow this  
Wild_pony

351W TQ/HP Guesstimate?

Hey Everyone,

I have purchased a 351W from a 1987 Truck.  The previous owner did some things to it, but then decided to go with a 460 instead.  So, it appears this motor has all new gaskets.... Anyhow...

This motor has a Weiland Stealth manifold, an upgraded distributor, and a Comp 368H cam in it.  It has E7 heads.  The heads were just rebuilt, but again E7 Heads.  My questions:

How much TQ/HP do you think this motor is currently making?

If I decide to move with an aftermarket head, Either AFR 185 or 190 11R heads from trick flow, is the Current Cam worth keeping?  

I'd like to hit 400 TQ/HP.  But If I can get over 300 I think I would be able to live with that.  Just trying to budget...because this 69 coupe needs plenty of other work.

If the current set up is something I can live with, I may just put it in.  But if I need to spend some money to get decent performance, then I will.  I don't want this to be a dog.

This is a street only car.  It will be paired with a 4R70W.  I will be driving on hilly, curvy back roads, very little stop and go traffic, but I have a weekly commute to a town about 50 miles away, so I will see a bit of freeway time.  I also want my Wife to be able to drive it in an emergency.

What say the Collective?

That engine had around 200hp, 295ft/lbs of torque from the factory with a Holley 4180. You might get 10-20 HP with just a cam change. The Stealth manifold fits well under the hood but again doesn't help more than 10%. The distributor does nothing for HP.

If you want 400HP, that's doable but it will require a combination of carb/EFI, aluminum heads, intake, cam, headers, and exhaust. Something like an Edelbrock top end kit would simplify the choices, or you can blindly pick and choose and hope for the best. If you're like most of us and not an engine builder it will take a lot of research.

I'd stay away from the edelbrock Top End Kits & carb, they are outdated. 

go with Trickflow's top end kit or use 180 AFR heads with a new moderate cam,  you can use the E303+ cam its modernized slightly https://www.onallcylinders.com/2022/03/10/plus-is-the-new-e-summit-racing-e303-plus-vs-ford-e303-camshaft-comparison/ or call comp cams, and let them know your specs and your power you want to achieve. 

Also Intake can stay, Carb will need to be changed, maybe to a 650 cfm. (stay away from the edelbrock carbs), Headers will need to be 1 5/8 at minimum, I suggest long tubes. 

I have a 427w stroker w/ world products block from prestige motorsports and putting down 460hp/475tq to the wheels with 3:50 gears. I have a 750cfm, Stealth Intake, and 1 5/8 headman headers. 

I was able to tear this 351w engine down today.  What I have found is that it was recently rebuilt.   The PO went with a stock style piston,  bored .030. The cam is a lunati 268/268 "HIGH EFFICIENCY" cam.  These are the specs-

Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam. Good cam for daily performance usage with good low end and mid range torque and HP. Good idle. ;Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/268 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 218/218 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .488/.488 ;LSA/ICL: 110/106 ;Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd ;RPM Range: 1500-4500

based on the summit calculator, if I use TF 190 11r heads with the 56CC chamber, and stick with the current pistons, I will have right around 10.2 compression.  Which I think is pretty good with aluminum  heads.   

the cam and lifters are newish.  If I use these heads, will this cam be a good match?  I've read that this cam wont like this high of compression.   Is that correct?  

I'm not trying to skimp, per se.  But since this cam is new, and already broken in,  I'd like to use it if it's a good match for what I want to do.   Comp has a similar cam, the lunati has slightly more lift .488 vs .448.  Comp says thier cam will make power to 5500 rpm, so why is the lunati only making power to 4500?  Again, this is a street car,  but sometimes I gotta lay down the hammer (probably around 6k rpm), especially when coming off the on ramp.

I know these questions are elementary.  I just havent quite wrapped my head around cam specs yet, so I have a hard time understanding. ...  I appreciate your guys input.