Recently my starter exploded the bendix, and I put a new one in. I pulled some pieces of metal from the inspection plate, and thought I had it all. Started it yesterday and heard the metal again. Opened the plate and found these two guys. Are they part of the old starter?

787FA576-BE09-4861-A6EB-7C248838D5D5.jpeg

Look too small to be the dowels from the block.  They look like locating pins/dowels from the pressure plate.  Do you have a manual trans in the car? Are these sheared off or smooth on the ends.....?

2 hours ago, Vicfreg said:

Look too small to be the dowels from the block.  They look like locating pins/dowels from the pressure plate.  Do you have a manual trans in the car? Are these sheared off or smooth on the ends.....?

Smooth. 
It’s an automatic. 

On 7/5/2022 at 11:16 AM, Mountaineerfan said:

Someone told me they are rollers left over from the old starter’s one way clutch. I’ve pulled four out, and drove with the plate off for awhile and heard one other clang, and it’s been perfect ever since!

That's what they look like to me. Roller pins for the starter Bendix.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:16 AM, Mountaineerfan said:

Someone told me they are rollers left over from the old starter’s one way clutch. I’ve pulled four out, and drove with the plate off for awhile and heard one other clang, and it’s been perfect ever since!

That’s what they look like to me