Ridge Runner

Missing my 1935 Ford pick up .

Shoe fab.

Too cool. I picked up two stands and several feet at an Iowa farm auction last October. Thought they could be used for some sort of metal work, but feared they also were cast. Good info there Jim, thanks. 

Yeah ,with the stands they would make a pretty good panel planisher. ,i didnt have the stands ,i do have two of the shoe anvils though so i should be able to make a stand for the other one  .picked up 12 antique irons ,they weigh 8 pounds each,i use them for weights bonding fiberglass together 

Got a little bit of me time this morning ,pulled the driver side door off and took a little metal prep to it . Took two shots to get it this clean ,the trick is keeping it wet . While it did remove some fairly heavy surface i still want to lightly hit it with my smaller blasting pot just to get anything out of any crevices or light pits . All in all this would have been a perfect door if someone hadent drilled 4 holes for mounting big mirrors ,a hit with the Miller and they should disappear.  

These doors have been sitting bare metal for at least 15 years inside my shop.

20221002_091235.jpg

20221002_091226.jpg

20221002_093239.jpg

20221002_093249.jpg

Well ,a nice ending for 2023 ! I found a rat rod ...junk ..but it has two good 35 37 front fenders in the bed that are easily usable . The running boards are actually in great shape with one dent in the front of the passenger side ,16 gauge metal so you can bang the crap out of them ! A couple of sets of head lights ,fender mounting braces and the inner fender skirts . But best of all it has a very rust free frame ,the guy just cut 3 inches off the rear frame rails but he still has them so so problem to weld back on . I now have everything except the bed but that i will buy new . 

Someone converted to hydraulic brakes so that is a sellable item ,probably a few more usable pieces but we will see when i get it home this morning .

FB_IMG_1704127312645.jpg

FB_IMG_1704127328625.jpg

FB_IMG_1704127320624.jpg

Other than 3 inches cut off the rear of the frame rails ,and i have the pieces ,and a trimmed front frame horn the old frame is in very good shape . It still has the wish bone front suspension and believe it or not ,set up properly this rides very well . Soon as i get the frame pieces welded back on i will mount it on my rotisserie and get it blasted and epoxy primed. It will run the wish bone with disk brakes a 4 inch drop axle  and a good shock set up along with Posi rear leaf spring kit and a cut down nine inch ,it is the same width as a 66 mustang .i will box the front and rear of the frame  

20240102_075058.jpg

20240102_075118.jpg

20240102_080005.jpg

I got the two frame ends blasted and primed ,not a lot of pitting ,mainly where it had a hitch bolted over the frame but still nothing bad . The rest of the frame is heavily painted ,it was hard to blast off the ends so i am thinking the main rails will be in great shape!

He cut these ends with what looks like a chop saw blade about 1/8 inch think so i will have to leave a gap when i weld them back on ,i will use a chop saw blade to space it 

20240103_135801.jpg

When taking these things apart ,i learned a long time ago ,you dont loosen the bolts to get them out ,they are way to rusty . You tighten them ,a couple of turns and the heads pop off ,they are as soft as lead ,it makes taking them apart way easier !

20240109_093028.jpg

It turns out my decent frame had a rotten spot on the bottom and side of passenger side . A plate of steel and my plasma cutter and i had the pieces cut out . It welded in pretty nice ,i left a gap all the way around for welding and took the mig to it . There is a couple of mild pits i could probably have hit with the mig and ground a bit more but it will work like it is ...it isnt going to be chromed after all ! Sprayed a little primer just to keep it from rusting . I get the front frame horn done and i can bolt it to the rotisserie .

20240110_145248.jpg

20240110_150900.jpg

20240110_151050.jpg

I just made the template for the frame horn repair ,it has to be made  in two pieces because it bows down in the front ,time to get out the plasma cutter again ! A band saw would have been a lot nicer ,i may cut the pieces big and do just that !

Made and tacked and welded . The welds are not the prettiest but they penetrated so a little grinding and i have a good frame once again . Now i still have to make the inner frame pieces for the frame horn and i would have made the  inner piece first but if i had made them a bit to big or small the outer may not have fit as good . 

20240110_164015.jpg

20240110_164012.jpg

20240110_164021.jpg

Nice work!  Also great color.  Some black highlights on that Gulfstream Aqua would look great.....

The old cars have cool body lines that you can add striping and contrasting color to.

Attached a picture of a 1929 Auburn 8-90 Convertible Sedan that belongs to my family. 

The green highlight follows the original body lines, and the wire wheels are painted to match the contrasting color.  Pretty cool.

Keep us posted on the progress....

uncle b auburn.jpg